- Buying Guide
- 1. You must consider its size:
- 2. You must consider the weight:
- 3. It should come with spare keys:
- 4. Consider its security rating:
- What you need to know about bike lock types
- 1. Chain Lock
- 2. U-Lock
- 3. O-Lock
- 4. Cable
- 5. Club for Bikes
- 6. Cuff Locks
- 1. Kryptonite 997986 Black 18mm New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock
- 2. Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Loc
- 3. TiGr mini Lightweight Titanium Bicycle Lock with Mounting Clip
- 4. OnGuard 8021 Mastiff 6′ x 3/8″ Quad Chain Lock
- 5. Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 Standard Bicycle U-Lock
- 6. Kryptonite Series 4 Disc
- 7. Real People Bike Lock Kit Bundle with 4-Feet Combination Cable Lock, Travel Size U-Lock
- 8. Rambo Lock Bike Cable Combination Lock for Biking Motorcycle
- 9. Lumintrail LK20708 Bike Bicycle Combination U-Lock
- 10. Xtreme Bright® Illumilock Blade Bike U-Lock, Headlight & Taillight Combination
Bikes are very useful and it is best that you protect your bikes with the use of the best bike lock out there. If you often use your bike for commuting daily, then you have to park it somewhere. To make sure that it won’t get stolen, a bike lock will do the trick. A good bike lock is very essential if you have a bike so you might as well purchase one once you bought a bike.
How would you choose the best bike lock for your bike and will really be very durable?
1. You must consider its size:
A lock with a bigger locking diameter means that you can secure it against a wide range of objects. However, a big locking diameter gives a thief more space to try breaking the lock with the use of a leveraging bar.
2. You must consider the weight:
Take note that since you use your bike in a daily routine, you will carry the bike lock as well with you all the time. If the weight is quite heavy then you must exert more effort in your pedalling. Just consider the weight that you can manage so you don’t have to exert too much effort especially if you can’t.
3. It should come with spare keys:
Who would want to lose their keys especially when they’re on their way to work? When buying a bike lock, make sure that it comes with spare keys just in case you lose one.
4. Consider its security rating:
There are some bike locks that have these. So it is best to choose the highest rating especially if you frequent places that are not very safe.
There are a lot of bike locks out there and a lot of people rely on their bikes to travel especially when it’s only a few blocks away. A bike is very cost-effective since you don’t have to pay for any gas but only have it maintained which do not cost that much.
What you need to know about bike lock types
You will find that bike locks come in a variety of types and prices. You can expect to spend about 10% of the value of the bicycle for the bike lock. So how do you know which one is right for you? Below is a breakdown of the different types of bike locks that youwill find on the market today. It is usually best to invest in at least 2 bike locks so that you have a backup one in the event that your bike lock gets damaged or breaks. This way you have a backup one in a pinch.
1. Chain Lock
Chain locks are great for those areas that have a higher crime rate. They are hard to break or cut through. You will need to have a padlock to use with a chain, just be sure to invest in a durable one that will be the same quality as the chain.
You will find that this is one of the most popular choices for bike locks. With this type of bike lock, it can lessen the chances of a thief trying to get your bike as there is little to no room for a thief to get a crowbar in there to pry the bike loose.
This is a newer design that more and more people are starting to use. They are built to fit certain parts of the bike which make it nearly impossible for a thief to get your bike.
These are seen on a great deal of bikes but can be easier for a thief to get the lock loose. If you are going to use this type of lock then you should use it in conjunction with another type of lock.
5. Club for Bikes
These came from the every popular Car Club and they are known as the Bike Blub. IT works by locking the wheel tightly in place that they the bike cannot be moved.
6. Cuff Locks
This type of lock is just as it sounds – a cuff that locks quickly and easily. You can use these locks to attach your bike to a pole.
Regardless of the type of lock you decide to get, you need to be sure that you take good care of it so that it will last you for years to come. If you must lock your bike up, do so in a well lit area so that it is harder for thieves to run off with your bike.
Check out the 10 Best Bike Locks on the market right now:
1. Kryptonite 997986 Black 18mm New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock
- Big city cyclists need big city protection, as would-be thieves aren’t intimidated by just any bicycle lock
- Enter the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboutit U-lock, which features an 18mm hardened Max-Performance steel shackle designed to resist bolt cutters and leverage attacks
- Ideal for anyone who lives in moderately high crime areas, the New York Fahgettaboutit boasts a maximum 12 ranking on the Kryptonite 1-12 lock comparison system, which ranks the varying levels of security offered by the company’s product range
- A lock that ranks 1 on the Kryptonite scale might work if you live in the burbs and have a Rottweiler parked next to your bike or motorcycle
- However, city dwellers demand extreme protection, which is why the New York Fahgettaboutit is built for serious deterrent security
- The U-lock also offers such security-enhancing features as a high-security disc-style cylinder; an oversized, hardened steel sleeve over the crossbar for double security; double deadbolt locking for extensive holding power; and a center keyway that defends against leverage attacks
- The lock comes with three keys, one of which is lighted with a high-intensity bulb that makes it easy to unlock the Fahgettaboutit after dark
- Other features include a protective vinyl coating, a sliding dust cover that protects and extends the cylinder life, and dimensions of 3.25 by 6 inches
2. Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Loc
- Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-Locks
- 18mm hardened Max-performance steel shackle
- Ovesized, hardened-steel sleeve over crossbar
- Double Deadbolt locking
- Anti Theft Proctection
3. TiGr mini Lightweight Titanium Bicycle Lock with Mounting Clip
- Strong, Lightweight, Titanium Bike Lock ART Certified 0.9 pounds Simply Secure
- High security, disc-style lock cylinder (includes two keys)
- Push-button lock (no key required to engage lock)
- PVC coating on bow protects bike frame from scratches
- Included Mounting clip is simple to install, easy to use
- Handmade in America, 0.9 lbs, 0.4 kg
4. OnGuard 8021 Mastiff 6′ x 3/8″ Quad Chain Lock
- The Mastiff series offers cyclists and power sports enthusiasts more high security options in a lighter, more compact package
- 10mm hex-link chains and square section bar links resist attack from saws and cutters
- Quattro and dual lock mechanisms feature dual lock down protection and 4 laser-cut plus 1 TorchKey
- All locks have vinyl coated large diameter ultra-hardened steel shackles and rubber coated end caps
- Nylon chain covers help protect painted surfaces
- Backed with an anti-theft protection program
5. Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 Standard Bicycle U-Lock
- 13mm hardened Performance steel shackle resists cutting and leverage attacks
- High security Bent Foot(TM) design for serious protection and great value
- High security, pick and drill resistant disc-style cylinder
- 2 keys – “I” style for easier usage
- Includes Transit FlexFrame Bracket for easy mounting to frame tubing 25mm to 80mm wheter round, oval, triangular, or square
- Also features 360° rotation providing the ability to better fit and align with a bike frame’s specific geometry
- Product weight: 3.60 lbs (1.63 kgs)
6. Kryptonite Series 4 Disc
- Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 Disc Lock Oval crossbar design with a hardened 516 shackle resists cutting and leverage attacks
- Reinforced anti-drillpull cylinder with more than a million key variations
- 3 keys included, 2 “I” keys and 1 LED lighted key with high intensity bulb and replaceable battery
- Lifetime key registration and replacement service available
- Vinyl coated and weatherproof
7. Real People Bike Lock Kit Bundle with 4-Feet Combination Cable Lock, Travel Size U-Lock
- Real People presents Biking Accessories that are built for strength and convenience
- This 2 Bike Lock Combo pack is everything you need to secure your valuable bike wherever you are
- Complete with bike mounts, keys, completely unique combination options, and state of the art design
- 4 Foot Long Bike Cable Lock
- Personalized Combination Lock
- Strong and Non Abrasive
- Quick Disconnect Bike Mounts with Non Abrasive Rubber Core to Prevent Paint Damage
- Travel Size U-Bolt Lock, Light Weight and Strong
- Unique Hinged Bottom Bracket U-Bolt for Ease of Use
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
8. Rambo Lock Bike Cable Combination Lock for Biking Motorcycle
- Why bike thieves hate this patented lock – learn why in the product description below
- Resettable combination is easy to remember – you set it and you can change it whenever you want to
- Won’t scratch you bike – thick pvc coating on braided steel cable protects your bike from damage
- Easily stores on bike – braided steel self-coiling cable stores quickly on storage bracket
- Get ‘peace of mind’ about bike theft – patented bike lock stops thieves dead in their tracks
9. Lumintrail LK20708 Bike Bicycle Combination U-Lock
- No longer worry about keys
- The Lumintrail Combination U-Lock offers both a user-settable combination lock with the added strength and dependability of a U-Lock to ensure the highest standard of protection for your bike
- Extend the security of your lock with the included 4’ (2.5’ usable) looped Kevlar braided steel cable
- Loop through tires, frame and helmets for added security
- Includes a frame mounted carry bracket to ensure your lock conveniently travels with you at all times
10. Xtreme Bright® Illumilock Blade Bike U-Lock, Headlight & Taillight Combination
- Buying lights and a lock for your bike is now a thing of the past with our patent pending bicycle light system & U lock all-in one combination technology
- No need to spend out on lights and then a lock as well, when you can save money and have the convenience of the XTREME BRIGHT ILLUMILOCK BLADE BIKE LOCK AND LIGHT system
- Perfect for any cyclist – fits all bikes and is lightweight, quick and easy to use
- Cool looking front and rear lights when you are riding so that you can see and more importantly be seen and when they are fitted together they form a super strong and tough U-lock
- Not only is the XTREME BRIGHT ILLUMILOCK BLADE BIKE LOCK AND LIGHT system easy to fit, requiring no tools, the front light emits 300 lumens of bright light and the tail light has multiple settings to suit your requirements
- When used as a lock, you can enjoy complete peace of mind because it is made from military grade steel & components, it is pick & drill resistant as well as shock resistant and waterproof – an ultra tough & durable bike lock