Wood Chipper Shredder machines help conserve time and money for property owners with trees, branches and leaves. If you are shopping for a Wood Chipper, following are some of the specifications you should pay attention to so you can determine the appropriate type and size for your needs.
- Do you need a commercial grade Wood Chipper Shredder for large jobs and lots of use? If so, be sure you find a Wood Chipper Shredder model that specificies “Commercial” or “Professional”.
- Will you use your Wood Chipper at the same location always? If you anticipate servicing two or more properties consider a trailer chipper.
- Is your property large and will you need to move your wood chipper to different locations on the property? If so, consider a gas wood chipper with wheels that is small enough to move easily, or get a towable chipper that can tow behind a four-wheeler or riding lawnmower.
- If your property is large and you have a tractor, then consider one of the PTO Chippers.
- The quality of design is important for performance and longevity. Patriot, for example, provides a heavy-duty tri-plated rotor.
- How large of branches do you need to chip? Wood Chippers specifications include branch diameter.
- Do you intend to create mulch from leaves and small branches? If so, verify the machine has a hopper with a shredder for that purpose.
- Do you need your wood chipper to shoot the wood chips into the back of your pickup or into a bag? If so, some wood chippers have tall adjustable shoots. You can get leaf bags that attach to many wood chipper shredder models to collect mulch.
- What type of warranty do you require? Residential warranties are often longer than commercial use.
- Where will you store your Wood Chipper Shredder? Some Wood Chipper Shredder brands and models come with covers to preserve them from the outdoor elements. If your Wood Chipper Shredder will be stored indoors, be sure to check the footprint size before you order to ensure it fits your intended storage space.
- Electric versus Gas – An Electric Wood Chipper has the advantage of convenience of no gas or oil, and it is easy to flip the switch on and off. A gas Wood Chipper Shredder can be more easily moved to father corners of the property than an Electric Wood Chipper.
What is the best Chipper Shredder on the market today? There are tons of Chipper Shredders out there, we did a lot of research on Chipper Shredders to save your precious time and money. Here are our best Chipper Shredders 2017:
#1. Patriot Products CSV-3100B 10 HP Briggs & Stratton Gas-Powered Wood Chipper/Leaf Shredder
- If you’re in the market for serious lawn equipment for homeowners and professionals alike, you’ve come to the right place
- The CSV-3100B Wood Chipper Leaf Shredder is the perfect machine for large property owners
- This chipper features the Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Commercial Power engine
- This quiet and smooth engine allows this unit to quickly make mulch out of thick 3 inch diameter branches
- Leaves and vegetative material can be dropped in the hopper for shredding
- There are no belts or pulleys to replace with Patriot’s patented direct drive system
- All the power goes directly into chipping and shredding
- Your Patriot will consistently make coin size chips without the need to change messy screens and covers
- The large wheels make it easy to move the CSV-3100B around your yard
- An outboard bearing insures that you will have many years of smooth trouble free chipping
- The Briggs & Stratton engine features an overhead valve design for cooler, cleaner, and more fuel-efficient operation
- The premium super lo-tone muffler reduces noise and the low oil run sensor reduces the chance of engine damage
- The CSV-3100B features the newly designed Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Commercial Power engine
Pros: big plus that it is American made, this chipper is far more versatile, powerful and makes short work of brush, having the blades clutch in automatically is a great feature, it is self feeding and will pull the limbs you are chipping right out of your hand, easily processing bananas and all the other fruits you commonly use, does a great job shredding tree leaves which we have a lot of, great craftsmanship, great for fertilizing the garden, easy to clean and maintain …
Cons: no issues with the operation …
#2. DEK 15 HP 420cc Commercial Duty Chipper Shredder
- This powerful chipper shredder with a 15 hip (420cc) commercial duty engine features a 2-way feed including oversized funnel for leaves, an ATV or lawn and garden trailer hitch and a chip collection bag
- Self feeds and chips up to 3 in. x 4 in. dia. branches, turning yard waste into useful 1/4 in. mulch
- This chipper is belt driven and equipped with a centrifugal clutch to protect the engine
- Transforms 12 bags of yard waste into 1 bag of chips
- Ideal for landscapers, large lot owners, rental and yard clean up
- This environmentally responsible product keeps yard waste out of landfills
Pros: a good machine for the price, electric start, runs very well, self-feed is really a plus, it will chew up most things, this machine does a great job of chipping branches, best one for limbs up to 3-4 inches, wide shoot allows for items up to 3″x4″ width, it really makes short work of the tree limbs …
Cons: recommend you buy lots of extra blades for chipping hard woods, it is a bit of a work out feeding brush into this machine …
#3. Earthquake 14267 Chipper Shredder with 212cc 4-Cycle Viper Engine
- The Earthquake 14267 chipper shredder is the first-ever with the high-performance Viper Engine
- Designed with patented dual triangular hammers, this chipper shredder offers maximum power at the point of impact
- The heavy-duty knives and hammers are combined with a metal cone, providing extra durability that has become synonymous with Earthquake products
- Turn yard waste into the perfect mulch with the powerful Earthquake 14267 chipper/shredder
Pros: machine pretty much starts on the first pull every time and has been very reliable, does a wonderful job at making limbs into mulch, turned a brush pile into mulch for my roses in no time, branches up to 3 inches have a separate chute, easily chewed up everything that fit in the feed hole, it’s sturdy and makes quick work of a yard full of your fall leaves and branches, soft or hard wood …
Cons: checking or adding oil is a little awkward, the bag is too small …
#4. Eco-Shredder ES1600 14 amp Electric Chipper / Shredder / Mulcher
- The Eco-Shredder is the easy way to help clean up the yard after trimming the bushes and raking the leaves
- No gasoline engines to try to start
- The Eco-Shredder is the way to help clean up your yard
- The top hopper accepts twigs, small branches and other leaves and debris
- The side chute accepts branches up to 1-3/8″ in diameter
- It can even save time and money by allowing you to make your own mulch
Pros: the price is reasonable for home use, this is probably a good thing from a safety standpoint, quiet operation and no noisy gas engine, very stable and effective, convenient to store , shredded material is perfect fodder to be tilled into a vegetable garden, does a satisfactory job on small tree limps and branches, good value for small backyard jobs …
Cons: only issue you had is with the electric cord …
#5. LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Chipper Shredder
- Turn unwanted yard waste into nutrient-rich mulch with this electric chipper shredder
- Powerful 15-amp motor and large 1-1/2-inch cutting diameter produces mulch at a ratio of 10:1. 8-inch wheels make this unit easily mobile
- Included collection bag lets you transport your mulch from the machine itself
- Push stick helps fit branches and leaves into the shredder, and “peace of mind” overload protector ensures you don’t overload the machine
- This electric chipper shredder provides a green, clean and efficient alternative to gas-powered shredders
- The chipper shredder is designed to chip and shred branch’s up to an 1 ½” wide which is the opening of the unit
- Although it will shred leaves, the primary job is to chip branches
- Not intended for bamboo
Pros: fantastic non-commercial chipper, for the price it is excellent, this electric chipper cuts cleaner and more dependably, much quieter and easier to use, easily chips limbs up to an inch and a half, chipped all the branches within the operating range, small footprint, small so it doesn’t take up much room in the shed, easy to clear when it clogs as it did when processing wet debris, recommend this unit to the home owner that has smaller trees and yard waste …
Cons: it does just make small twigs a little smaller. …
#6. GreenWorks 24052 15 Amp Corded Shredder/Chipper
- The GreenWorks products that you purchase have a ZERO carbon footprint
- Their entire product line will never release an ounce of carbon emission into the air
- 4 Year Warranty – Double The Industry Standard
- GreenWorks high quality products are manufactured to last
- They’ll provide all the power you need without polluting the air or forcing you to keep hauling your gas can to the nearest station (especially in the middle of a mow)
- No more tune-ups or maintenance
- No more emissions
- It’s time to move beyond clumsy, harmful gas-powered mowers
- It’s time for GreenWorks to be your lawn tools for life
Pros: nice machine, it is surprisingly cheap, light and easy to move around, for light chipping and shredding, works great for the small branches, best at sticks, did a great job with up to 1 1/4 size branches and saplings, the large limbs make good fire wood the supplied pusher to be quite helpful …
Cons: the catcher bag is small and the chips do not flow to the back, the drier the trimmings are when you feed them in the better it goes …
#7. Sun Joe Chipper Joe CJ601E 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper/Shredder
- Quickly turn your yard debris into nutrient-rich garden mulch and do your part to reduce, reuse and recycle with the Sun Joe Chipper Joe electric chipper/shredder
- Powered by a robust 14-amp motor, the CJ601E electric wood chipper and shredder generates speeds of up to 4,300 revolutions per minute, making quick work out of the brush, leaves and branches overcrowding your lawn
- Designed for light-duty jobs, this wood chipper effectively chips and shreds wooden sticks and limbs up to 1.5-inches thick, reducing your yard waste up to 1/16th its original size
- The minimized wood chips resulting from Chipper Joe’s efforts are perfect for use as garden mulch around your trees and flower beds
- Easy to assemble and virtually maintenance free, the Chipper Joe electric chipper and shredder is ready to go when you are
- Just plug it in and instantly start chipping!
- Unlike gas-powered tools, the electric-powered Chipper Joe means you don’t have to deal with smoke, fumes, unpredictable starters and costly tune-ups
- The CJ601E also features a safety stop that automatically engages when the hopper is opened
- The Chipper Joe electric wood chipper/shredder is ETL-approved and backed by a full two-year warranty
Pros: great little chipper shredder, perfect for a yard where you are going to have a lot of tree limbs falling down, nice and affordable, its light enough to move from tree to tree, this chipper does a nice job of chipping the woody stuff and breaking smaller stems into pieces, paddle is great to push things through safely, perfect for someone not want to spend a lot of money …
Cons: it’s not meant for large tree limbs, the space below where the chips collect is small …