How do you ascertain if you have chosen the highest quality dry dog food for your dog?
There are many suggestions that could come up if this question was included in a survey, but I want to tell you one important fact:
“Without actually feeding your dog the food you purchased, you will never be 100% certain if that food is perfect, even if you think you are”
When a dog owner finds the best food, they shouldn’t be 100% sure until their dog has eaten that food for at least two weeks, or less in some cases.
The signs of a high quality dog food must show on your dog. This is the ONLY way to know if you bought the highest quality dry dog food. Sure, you may consider foods that have worked well for other dogs, but those dogs are different from yours.
- 11 Best Dry Dog Foods 2017
- 1. Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food
- 2. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- 3. Purina Dog Chow Natural Dry Dog Food
- 4. Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food
- 5. ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Dog Cuisine
- 6. Nature’s Variety Instinct Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- 7. Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food – Sweet Potato & Fish Formula
- 8. Purina ONE SmartBlend Lamb & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
- 9. Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin Dry Dog Food
- 10. Fromm Family Foods 727520 Gold Nutritionals Adult 33 lb Dry Dog Food (1 Pack), One Size
- 11. Victor Dog Food Grain-Free Hero Canine Formula Dry Dog Food
Signs that you bought the highest quality dry dog food
1. A shiny coat and skin: If your dog’s coat and skin is the opposite (dull, dry, flaking, brittle), then you need to change your dog food. It might be essential to contact your Vet in serious cases, as there could be other causes. But one of the main causes is bad/inappropriate food.
2. Normal poop: “Hey, what do you mean by normal poop?” Normal poop is neither loose nor dry, but firm. Take note of pooping frequency as well. Pooping more than 2 times per day is an indication of an unbalanced or incomplete diet. The label will usually tell you if your dog food is complete. By the way, frequent pooping is probably due to inadequate usable protein.
3. Healthy heart, and strong bones: Ask you Vet to examine your dog’s bones (and joints) and heart. The result of the test will usually speak for itself.
4. Healthy gums and teeth: Specifically look for the following:
- tartar (should be tartar-free)
- red gums (should be pink)
- bad breath (should be clean & good)
- colored teeth (should be white)
All these above are signs of dental problems. Change your dog’s food and buy a food whose special feature is dental care.
5. Thick muscles (or should I say strong?): If you can feel your dog’s ribs, and still see them, then it might be high time you started feeding him/her a better food. The same applies if your dog is thin (or looks thin), yet eats a lot.
Sometimes it might be you not adhering to proper dog feeding tips and advice, and not the fault of the food. For example:
- avoid feeding your dog table scraps
- limit the number of treat snacks and how often you feed your dog with them.
What is the best dry dog food on the market? There are tons of dry dog foods out there, we did a lot of research on dry dog foods to save your precious time. Here is our best dry dog foods list of 2017:
1. Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon is a fish protein, grain-free formula with sweet potatoes provides highly digestible energy for your sensitive dog. Made with real smoked salmon, this formula offers a taste sensation like no other. Supplemented with fruits and vegetables, this fish and potato formula delivers natural antioxidants to protect your friend’s body from the damage of everyday living, supporting a healthy immune system and overall good health. Your dog craves a taste of the wild. Go ahead and give him one.
2. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Wild Game Duck, Turkey, Wild Boar & Rabbit Recipe is healthy, 100% natural grain free dog food for adult dogs made with high-protein duck, lamb, turkey, wild boar and rabbit, plus easy-to-digest legumes to help support your dog’s optimal health and fortified with antioxidents, probiotics, vitamins and minerals, including fish and flax omega blend for healthy skin and coat. Wellness CORE grain free dog food formulas are based on the nutritional philosophy that dogs thrive on a diet mainly comprised of meat. Each grain free, nutrient-rich formula provides high quality protein for your dog with no meat by-products or fillers, grain, corn, soy, wheat-gluten or artificial preservatives, colors or flavors.
3. Purina Dog Chow Natural Dry Dog Food
Purina Dog Chow Natural is made with real chicken and WITHOUT artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. Every bowl provides 100% complete and balanced nutrition to help adult dogs live long and healthy lives. For more than 90 years, Purina Dog Chow has delivered high quality nutrition that’s always been crafted in the USA. Day after day, they – the people who make Dog Chow- dedicate themselves to ensuring that every bag meets their high standards. They confidently feed Dog Chow to their own dogs and take pride in making the food that helps millions of other dogs live long, healthy lives.
4. Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food
Rachael Ray Nutrish Real Chicken & Veggies Recipe is made with simple, natural ingredients, like real U.S. farm-raised chicken, which is always the number one ingredient, combined with wholesome vegetables and added vitamins & minerals.
5. ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Dog Cuisine
ZiwiPeak’s Air-Dried Venison Cuisine is a raw equivalent, premium dry dog food. 100% free of added hormones, fillers, grains, rice, potatoes, antibiotics, and GMO’s. New Zealand’s premium quality grass-fed venison is a superb protein source for dogs. It’s highly digestible with high levels of natural chondroitin and glucosamine to support long-term mobility and joint health.
6. Nature’s Variety Instinct Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Nature’s Variety Instinct is formulated like your dog’s ancestral diet – high protein, grain-free, and gluten-free. Each formula is thoughtfully balanced with the wholesome foods your dog would eat in nature, like real meat or poultry, healthy vegetables and fruits, and no grain or gluten. A pure, biologically appropriate diet like this provides nutrient-rich, highly digestible nutrition to help pets thrive. Feed ancestrally – give pets the nourishment and energy to achieve a healthy, happy life. Complete and balanced for all life stages (including puppy, adult and senior) and all breeds (perfect kibble size for small to large dogs). Made in USA facilities.
7. Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food – Sweet Potato & Fish Formula
Formulated with a limited list of premium protein and carbohydrate sources, this L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets formula is excellent when you are seeking alternative ingredients for your pet. L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Dry Dog Food is a grain-free diet that’s also designed to maintain your dog’s digestive health while supporting healthy skin and a shiny, luxurious coat.
8. Purina ONE SmartBlend Lamb & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
Real lamb as the first ingredient blended with other high-quality protein sources helps support strong muscles and a healthy heart. Omega-6 helps give your dog a radiant coat and healthy skin. Natural sources of glucosamine help support healthy joints. Highly digestible so more nutrition goes to work inside your dog.
9. Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin Dry Dog Food
Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin Vegetarian Recipe is premium dry dog food containing protein-rich soybean meal to help support healthy skin and a shiny coat. They craft this naturally delicious diet without ingredients commonly associated with food sensitivities, such as corn or wheat, and it’s fortified with omega fatty acids to help support a shiny coat. This healthy dog food also contains linoleic acid and zinc to help support healthy skin for your pet!
10. Fromm Family Foods 727520 Gold Nutritionals Adult 33 lb Dry Dog Food (1 Pack), One Size
Only the highest quality ingredients available are used in From pet foods. Many variety’s available from puppy to senior. The best dog food money can buy.
11. Victor Dog Food Grain-Free Hero Canine Formula Dry Dog Food
This super premium food is naturally formulated with added vitamins, minerals and other additives that work together to support a strong and healthy immune and digestive system. As with all victor dog foods, this formula is free from corn, wheat, soy or glutens and is also made using GMO free. Dogs love the all natural flavor of this super premium food.