Before you decide to throw that old knife in the garbage hold on a moment because perhaps all you need is an electric knife sharpener to bring it back to its original state.
Over time it’s inevitable that your knives start to lose their edge and become dull and ineffective. That doesn’t mean they’re useless it often just means they need a good sharpening. Owning your own electric knife sharpener means you won’t have to buy new knives all the time and you’ll also be able to enjoy sharp and effective blades for all your cooking and food preparation needs.
- 8 Best Electric Knife Sharpeners 2017
- 1. Chef’s Choice 1520 AngleSelect Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener
- 2. Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
- 3. Wusthof PEtec Electric Sharpener
- 4. Chef’s Choice 120 Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener, Brushed Metal
- 5. Chef’s Choice 270 Diamond Hone Hybrid Knife Sharpener
- 6. Mcgowan Firestone Electric Sharpener
- 7. Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
- 8. Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
Why Buy a Electric Knife Sharpener
When you purchase your brand new set of knives the last thing you’re thinking of is the day when they are so dull that they no longer cut through your foods. Unfortunately not all knife sets come with a sharpening block/tool so when the time comes that the knife has lost its edge you’re stuck with a fancy looking butter knife.
Knives are often a costly purchase and for many people they are a very personal purchase. There’s a good chance you shopped around for the perfect handle, shape, weight, size, and blade so who wants to have to do that again?
By picking up an electric knife sharpener you can look forward to many years of use from your favorite knives, keeping them sharp and effective.
Electric Knife Sharpener – What to Look For
There are two types of knife sharpeners, electric and manual. If you’re looking for a quick and easy way of sharpening your knives, the electric model is definitely the way to go.
- A good question to start with is looking at what material it uses in order to sharpen the blade. Does it use high-alumina ceramics, tungsten carbide, steel, or even diamond? The material it uses will help determine how well it sharpens your knife.
- What is your budget like? While diamond will do an absolutely fabulous job sharpening your knife it will also leave a pretty hefty dent in your wallet. Tungsten carbide is typically a high priced model as well as it lives up to diamond as far as quality goes.
- What kind of knives will you be sharpening? Because you don’t have a lot of control with the electric models they can be a bit rough on your knife. If you have a more intricate knife or perhaps a family heirloom, you likely won’t want to trust it to an electric sharpener.
- Does the model offer you options when it comes to grinding measures? This allows you to sharpen a variety of knives.
- What is the base of the sharpener made of? Because it will be grinding the knife you want something that won’t be bouncing and sliding across the counter-top a rubber base will help prevent that.
An electric knife sharpener can breathe life into an otherwise rather old and sad set that was once a favorite of yours. For a reasonable cost you’ll be able to pick one up that will keep all your knives in almost new shape.
What is the best electric knife sharpener on the market? There are tons of electric knife sharpeners out there, we did a lot of research on them to save your precious time. Here is our best electric knife sharpeners list of 2017:
1. Chef’s Choice 1520 AngleSelect Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener
Chef’s Choice Diamond Hone Angle Select Model 1520 is the world’s most versatile sharpener designed to sharpen Asian, European and American style knives. It is engineered to provide astonishingly sharp edges using highly precise knife guides that automatically position the knife. The multi-stage sharpening system features 100% diamond abrasives and patented flexible stropping polishing discs that create a gothic arch edge structure recognized for incredible sharpness and durability. This advanced electric sharpener can restore and recreate both a 20 degree edge for European and American style knives and a 15 degree edge for Asian style knives. It will quickly sharpen fine edge or serrated blades; Santuko and traditional Japanese style single bevel edges including thicker Deba style blades; as well as sports knives, pocket knives and serrated edges.
2. Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
The new Chef’s Choice Trizor XV Sharpener is another breakthrough from the world’s leading manufacturer of quality knife sharpeners. With ultra-sharp EdgeSelect technology and the stability of a triple bevel (Trizor) edge, you can hone your knives to a high performance 15 degree angle. The three stage process and efficient flexible stropping disks sharpen the edge with minimal metal removal, helping to extend the life of fine knives. Diamond abrasives on the conical disks in Stage 1 create extremely fine micro- grooves (for more bite), while simultaneously creating the first major bevel of the arch shaped edge. Stage 2 uses even finer diamond abrasives on conical disks which shape the second, smaller bevel with finer microgrooves. Stage 3 uses the patented flexible abrasive stropping disk system to create a microscopically smooth, sharp edge. It creates the third and final bevel while polishing the micro-grooves formed in stages 1 and 2. Stage 3 is also used to sharpen serrated knives, as it straightens and sharpens each tooth.
3. Wusthof PEtec Electric Sharpener
This sharpener has three stages. Stage 1 is sharpening, stage 2 is honing and stage 3 is stropping/polishing the edge.
4. Chef’s Choice 120 Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener, Brushed Metal
This professional electric knife sharpener is another sharpening breakthrough. It incorporates conical 100-Percent diamond coated disks in Stages 1 and 2 and a revolutionary stropping/polishing disk in Stage 3. In just seconds, an edge of unprecedented sharpness and durability is obtained on fine edge (straight edge) and serrated knives. The flawless, highly polished fine edge can be customized to suit the cutting task. High precision elastomeric angle guides eliminate all guesswork. Three year limited warranty. Made in the U.S.A
5. Chef’s Choice 270 Diamond Hone Hybrid Knife Sharpener
The new, efficient 3-stage chef’s choice 270 diamond hone hybrid knife sharpener is their most advanced hybrid yet, combining their acclaimed crisscross sharpening technology and electric and manual sharpening stages that provide superior edge geometry and razor sharp edges on both straight edge and serrated knives including household and kitchen knives, sports knives and pocket knives. The chef’s choice crisscross sharpening technology is praised by home cooks and professional chefs for its extremely sharp edge with lots of “bite.” The diamond abrasive wheels sharpen simultaneously “into” and “out-of” the edge for a superior burr-free edge. Featuring elegant and durable brushed stainless steel knife guides, stages 1 and 2 are electric using 100-percent diamond abrasives for fast and easy edge shaping and sharpening. Stage 3 uses ultra-fine diamond abrasive wheels for a polished, razor-sharp, arch-shaped edge that is stronger and more durable. Stage 3 also sharpens serrated edges. One year limited warranty. Engineered and assembled in the u.s.a.
6. Mcgowan Firestone Electric Sharpener
Super fast, super easy one-step sharpening. Fired ceramic stones give a hollow ground edge. In one smooth step, the FireStone electric creates a highly polished edge. Easy to use, ceramic sharpening wheels. Made in the USA.
7. Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
Professional EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener works great on kitchen knives, hunting knives and fillet knives. 120 volts, 60 Hz only. Three Stage Sharpening system for professional results at home. Sharpens Kitchen and sport knives quickly and easily. Interchangeable blade guides provide optimum sharpening angles. No guess sharpening. Blade guides automatically hold knife at the perfect sharpening angle.
8. Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
All kitchen and sporting knives, whether professional quality or inexpensive, need a blade tune-up now and then. This electric sharpener produces razor-sharp edges using the same rapidly rotating Sapphirite grinding wheels used by professional shops. A two-stage system allows knives to be ground and sharpened on the Stage 1 half of the machine, and then honed on the Stage 2 half. Blade guides hold the knife at the ideal sharpening angle for each side of the blade, as it is drawn slowly towards the user and kept parallel to the countertop. The sharpener is suitable for knives made of alloy, carbon, or stainless steel; it is perfectly normal for sparks to fly when knives of high carbon steel come in contact with the Sapphirite wheels. Non-electric serrated knives that are only serrated on one side can also be sharpened with this machine. Three suction cups on the bottom hold the sharpener securely on a table or countertop, and two receptacles underneath catch metal filings for disposal.