- Buying Guide
- 1. Redington Sonic Pro Stocking Foot Wader
- 2. LaCrosse Swamp Tuff Pro Bottom Land 1000 – gram Thinsulate Ultra Insulation Waders
- 3. Adamsbuilt Truckee River Wader
- 4. Allen Cattail Bootfoot Neoprene Chest Waders
- 5. Frogg Toggs Hellbender Stout S/F Chest Wader
- 6. Caddis Men’s Breathable Stocking Foot Wader (DOES NOT INCLUDE BOOTS)
- 7. Frogg Toggs Amphib 3.5mm Neoprene Bootfoot Cleated Wader
- 8. Oakiwear Toddler & Childrens’ Neoprene Waterproof Fishing Waders
- 9. Redington Crosswater Wader
- 10. Allen Brule River Bootfoot Chest Waders with Cleated Soles
A good pair of fishing waders can make or break a day on the stream or river.
Waders keep you dry and protect your legs from brush and debris under the water and are incredibly useful for many reasons. Whether you’re looking into going fishing for the first time, or wanting to brush up on your knowledge before you buy a new pair, we hope to answer all of your questions about fishing waders and help you make an informed decision on your next purchase.
Although not always necessary, fishing waders are used a lot in fishing, especially in fly fishing. Fly fishing waders are not necessarily different from other waders, although some have additional features. All waders should keep you warm and dry during a long day of wading, and, used with the proper footwear, help you keep good footing in a stream-bed that keeps you safe. But before you run out to buy your next pair, there are several things to keep in mind.
There are just a few more characteristics, styles of fishing waders that you should be acquainted with before going shopping.
First, waders come in three different ‘lengths’:
- The shortest of all are hip waders. These are generally rubber waders with attached boots, and are only good for fishing shallow streams where you will typically not be going in above your knees.
- Waist-high waders are the in-between choice and are like a pair of pants. They can be either stocking-foot or boot-foot, depending on which you prefer.
- The tallest choice (and arguably the most popular among fly fisherman) is the chest wader. These are often made of breathable material and are worn with separate wading boots of your choice. Chest waders allow you to wade into the deeper parts of a river while staying dry, but, although breathable, can get hot during summertime.
One way to give versatility to your waders is to buy convertible waders that can easily be worn as either waist-high or chest waders.
Most chest fishing waders are going to have the same basic features, including gravel guards (if stocking-foot waders), shoulder straps, etc., but there are some ‘upsell’ features that may be of interest. One of my pairs of waders zip in the front, which honestly has come in handy on more than one stream-side pee occasion! These have a waterproof zipper that typically starts at the chest and goes down to the crotch. This feature is not absolutely necessary, but, in addition to bathroom breaks, allows the waders to come on and off a bit easier.
Another feature of more expensive chest waders is the addition of built-in pockets or integrated fly boxes on the front of waders. These can range from a simple zip pocket or hand warmer pockets to full-blown detachable chest packs. The practicality of these features will largely depend upon your fly fishing style. If you like to go fast and light, an incorporated chest pack might be the ticket. I just bought a pair of Frogg Toggs Hellbender Wader and am really enjoying a pocket for my phone, license, and other little goodies I carry with me but don’t have to have in my vest.
Check out the 10 Best Fishing Waders on the market right now:
1. Redington Sonic Pro Stocking Foot Wader
3. Adamsbuilt Truckee River Wader
4. Allen Cattail Bootfoot Neoprene Chest Waders
5. Frogg Toggs Hellbender Stout S/F Chest Wader
6. Caddis Men’s Breathable Stocking Foot Wader (DOES NOT INCLUDE BOOTS)
7. Frogg Toggs Amphib 3.5mm Neoprene Bootfoot Cleated Wader
8. Oakiwear Toddler & Childrens’ Neoprene Waterproof Fishing Waders
9. Redington Crosswater Wader