We live in a world of innovations so it is completely genuine to improve the quality of our life as much as possible. This also implies the time we spend in the kitchen for cooking and cleaning. While preparing a favorite dish can be fun, getting read of the leftovers can turn out to be quite annoying. The purpose of garbage disposals is to help you get rid of food waste in a convenient and fast way. They are efficient and environmental friendly as they reduce the quantity of food send to landfills. They are easy to install and can match most sink types. In order to find the best garbage disposal for your kitchen, check out this article.
The purpose of garbage disposals is to grind up waste. This means that you can take the dirty dishes directly to the sink, without having to throw the leftovers in the trash. The best garbage disposal for your home does not only help you save time, but it can also make cleaning more pleasant. If you are moving into a new home, or you are redecorating your kitchen, remember to add to the list such a device. This article aims to show you the best six garbage disposals as well as tips for choosing the best one in order to make your life easier.
- 6 Best Garbage Disposals 2017
- #1. InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 HP Household Garbage Disposer
- #2. InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist 3/4 HP Household Garbage Disposer
- #3. Waste King A1SPC Knight 1.0 Horsepower Garbage Disposal
- #4. Waste King L-8000 Legend Series 1.0-Horsepower Continuous-Feed Garbage Disposal
- #5. Waste King 9920 Legend Series 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Operation Garbage Disposer
- #6. Waste Maid 258 Mid Duty 1/2 HP Food Waste Disposer
Types of Garbage Disposals
There are two main types of garbage disposals to choose from:
1. Continuous feed
Continuous feed garbage disposals are very quick and easy to operate. All you need to do is to turn on the water, switch the unit on and empty the dishes and pots in the drain. Their main disadvantage is the fact that they are not really safe. If you do not pay attention non-waste items can get stuck in the unit, and they need to be taken out carefully. It is important to supervise the area when children are around to prevent them from getting hurt.
2. Batch feed
Batch feed disposals are safer as they do not activate if a foreign object is dropped. In order to turn it on you need to push the leftovers in the drain and cover the hole with the magnetic lid. If the lid is opened, the disposal shuts down automatically. The main disadvantage in this case is the fact that it is slower than the previous one.
Features of Garbage Disposals
Each garbage disposal comes with certain features so it is strongly advisable to analyze them carefully in order to make the right purchase. The size of the motor is directly linked to a smooth operation and a fine pulverization. There are four sizes available: 1/2 HP, 1/3 HP, 3/4 HP and 1 HP. The first two options are perfect for soft foods, like vegetables. The last two motor sizes are a better choice for families who prefer to eat homemade food.
Another feature that you must analyze is the grinding chamber. It is important to know that the size of the motor is directly proportional with the size of the grinding chamber. In order to make the optimum purchase you must analyze how many leftovers you need to dispose daily. The best ones are those made of stainless steel or glass filled nylon as they can be cleaned with ease, and they do not rust.
Noise is another aspect that must be taken into consideration. All garbage disposals are nosy, but there is a difference. The ones with insulated grinding chamber and higher HP motor are quieter.
Tips for Choosing the Best Garbage Disposal
There are certain things you need to consider when shopping for a garbage disposal. There are many designs to choose from, so it is important to analyze the following aspects:
- Analyze the differences between the two types of garbage disposals. As it was presented above, there are two types of garbage disposals: continuous feed and batch feed. Continuous feed disposals have two major advantages. The first one is the price, as they are convenient and not expensive. With only $75.00, you can purchase one with 1/2 HP motor and stainless steel grinding chamber. Another great advantage is the fact that they are easy and fast to use. On the other hand, batch feed disposals eliminate any risk of injury.
- Make sure that you purchase a garbage disposal with an adequate horsepower level. The price of a garbage disposal is directly linked to the motor capacity. The most basic ones have 1/3 HP power and are perfect for a couple living in a small house or apartment. On the other hand, a motor with 1 HP can grind even chicken bones. In this case, the most important aspect that you must consider is the number of family members. Small families can find efficient a 1/2 HP or 1/3 HP motor, while larger ones will definitely need a garbage disposal with 3/4 HP or 1 HP motor.
- Remember to consider the noise level. It is important to understand that all garbage disposals make noise. The level depends on how well it is sealed, and how much it vibrates. There are companies that have adopted noise-dampening materials in order to ensure a quieter use. However, you must pay extra for a lower noise level. On the other hand, it is important to consider purchasing a quieter garbage disposal if the kitchen is close to the bedroom or kids’ room; otherwise it can become annoying in time.
- Analyze the quality of the materials. The main problem of garbage disposals is the fact that they get corroded in time because of water and food exposure. In order to avoid such problems make sure that you choose one made of stainless steel components. They last longer and come with great warranties.
- Look for one with anti-jamming capabilities. It is extremely important to choose a garbage disposal that does not jam often during the grinding process, otherwise you will need to purchase replacement parts and ask for professional help in order to change them. It will turn out to be both frustrating and expensive.
- Choose a design that can be plumbed with ease. If the garbage disposal is too complicated to fix you will need to ask for professional help. This means that you will spend extra money, and you will not be able to use it as soon as you purchase it.
- If you own a dishwasher make sure that it can be connected to it.
A garbage disposal is an important tool in any kitchen. It can help you save time while washing dishes. However, maybe the most important advantage is the fact that you can actually get read of the leftovers and prevent an awful smell during summer. In order to make sure that you make a convenient purchase remember to choose one that matches your lifestyle.
What is the best Garbage Disposal on the market today? There are tons of Garbage Disposals out there, we did a lot of research on Garbage Disposals to save your precious time and money. Here are our best Garbage Disposals 2017:
#1. InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 HP Household Garbage Disposer
- Evolution Series garbage disposals are the world’s most advanced food waste disposers
- The Evolution Excel features sound reducing technology that ensures less noise than a standard disposer.
- InSinkErator brand disposers are the easiest to install.
- Food waste disposers don’t just offer practical convenience; they provide an environmentally sound answer to the growing problem of food waste
- The Evolution Excel disposer features MultiGrind technology, which allows you to grind almost any food waste reducing the chance of clogs and jams
- The Evolution Excel disposer featuring MultiGrind technology, allows you to grind tough to grind foods such as: celery, apple cores, potato peels, small bones, corncobs, banana peels, coffee grounds and more
Pros: delivered on time, best made garbage disposer, beautiful, simply the best, easily installed, remote button is cool, powerful and well built, never jams, will eat entire hams without burping, running smoothly, no vibration, incredibly quiet, if you want a garbage disposer that does a fantastic job this is the one …
Cons: a bit more pricey but worth the extra cost, much larger and heavier than the average unit, no power cord comes with this unit …
#2. InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist 3/4 HP Household Garbage Disposer
- SoundSeal Technology which delivers quieter performance versus a standard disposer
- MultiGrind Technology , with two-stage grind to quickly grind virtually any food waste
- Includes one Bio-Charge cartridge
- 40 oz. Stainless steel grind chamber and grind components for longevity
- 3/4 Horsepower Dura-Drive Induction Motor; power cord not included
Pros: fast delivery, easy to install with the instructions, great for septic tanks, gets rid of everything with no apparent effort, low noise, the running water is much louder than the disposer, does a great job reducing bad smells, no more smell coming from drain, the septic assist does smell like lemons when you use the disposal …
Cons: the disposer is bulky, takes up a large area under the sink, doesn’t come with power cord don’t forget to order separately …
#3. Waste King A1SPC Knight 1.0 Horsepower Garbage Disposal
- The Waste King Knight 1.0-horsepower disposal (model A1SPC) showcases an ultra-powerful motor, new Snap and Lock mounting system, stainless steel grinding components, exclusive Silencer technology, and a corrosion-proof grinding chamber for efficient, no-fuss waste disposal
- Once installed, this continuous-feed waste disposer will more than earn its place in your kitchen
- 2,700 RPM permanent magnet motor
- Snap and Lock mounting system easily replaces most existing disposers
- One-Pass technology — no multi-stage chambers needed, motor powers through waste in one pulverizing pass
- Exclusive Silencer technology — same material used to sound-proof music studios
- Stainless steel swivel impellers reduce jamming
- Lifetime mechanical and corrosion warranties
Pros: it is a beautiful unit to look at, nice garbage disposal, the installation was pretty easy, excellent build quality, 1 HP garbage disposal is a beast, works amazingly, extremely quiet, minimum vibration, it will literally eat anything, great machine at an unbelievable price, recommend this to anyone who is considering a new disposal …
Cons: a little tall but fit easily enough in the space …
#4. Waste King L-8000 Legend Series 1.0-Horsepower Continuous-Feed Garbage Disposal
- The Waste King Legend series 1 HP garbage disposer has a 2800 RPM motor
- Heavy cast stainless steel anti jam swivel impellers
- Stainless steel grinding components
- It is sound insulated, comes with an installed power cord
- Has a front mount reset button and plumb EZ mounting system
Pros: arrived on time, easy installation, the price was an exceptional value, can’t beat for the price, fantastic quality disposal, shockingly powerful, reduces waste pretty quickly and capably, absolutely surprised at how quietly this operates, the lifetime warranty make this a no-brained …
Cons: less room under the sink, needed plumbers putty to install in a non-stainless sink …
#5. Waste King 9920 Legend Series 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Operation Garbage Disposer
- The Waste King 9920 Legend Series 1/2-HP 3-Bolt Mount Garbage Disposer is one if the best disposers on the market today
- With a high-speed 2600 R.P.M. permanent magnet motor it produces more power per pound and can efficiently get rid of all your food waste
- This legend disposer is also safe for properly sized septic tanks, making it environmentally friendly
Pros: the price was definitely a plus, it’s easy to mount, takes up less space under sink, comes with everything plumbers putty and a screw driver and a wrench, relatively straight forward installation, not very noisy at all, job well and efficiently, powerful enough for the average household, recommend this as a cost effective replacement unit, recommend for lite to moderate use situations …
Cons: it takes an extra second to clear the sink of backed up water …
#6. Waste Maid 258 Mid Duty 1/2 HP Food Waste Disposer
- The Waste Maid #258 HP Mid-Duty Disposer incorporates the Bio-Shield Anti-microbial features that helps prevent bacteria and odor build up in the disposing chamber
- The Waste Maid #258 employs a fully insulated sound shield
- The entire stainless steel grinding system and chamber is guaranteed against failure due to corrosion
- With the TorqueMaster Balance Grinding System, the #258 can handle your everyday food waste including chicken bones, vegetable and fruit scraps, coffee grounds as well as table scraps
- The TorqueMaster System also utilizes the 2,600 RPM balanced Permanent Magnet motor with high torque to provide fast grinding with power to cut through potential jams
- With your food waste going down the disposer, you will provide a cleaner and more convenient kitchen environment for your family
- Some assembly required. 7.6 in. L x 7.6 in. W x 14.6 in. H (11 lbs.). Attached power cord
- Comes with a 5-year Warranty
Pros: the price was great, delivery was excellent, super easy to install, it’s an ideal disposal for a small household, a sweet glorious disposal, made of quality material, thin and lightweight, perfect for a tight space, great power, not so loud, a lot better balanced …
Cons: working great without any issue …