- Buying Guide
- How to Choose the Best Meat Thermometer
- 1. Famili OT008 Wireless Food Meat Cooking Electronic Thermometer Dual Probe
- 2. Supreme Home Cook, Touchscreen Digital Meat Cooking Thermometer
- 3. Paksh Novelty Cooking Bundle – Digital Meat Timer, Thermometer Probe
- 4. Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo Ambidextrous Backlit Instant Read Digital Meat Thermometer
- 5. Amir Digital Instant Read Thermometer, Cooking Thermometer Electronic Barbecue Meat Thermometer
- 6. Innoo Tech Instant Read Thermometer – BBQ Meat Thermometer
- 7. Alpha Grillers Instant Read BBQ Meat Thermometer For Grill And Cooking
- 8. Alpha Grillers Waterproof Instant Read Kitchen Thermometer For Meat & Cooking
A meat thermometer is essential in cooking meat dishes in whole or huge cuts, to make sure that the inner part of the meat is well cooked. Raw meat can be a source of certain diseases acquired from bacteria. Heat can kill these bacteria and therefore it is important for the meat to reach a specific temperature. In cooking, the temperature is also important to determine the doneness in whatever we are cooking. For instance, we cab ne sure that the period of cooking is enough for us to achieve a well done, rare or medium rare steak. Cooking may involve a scientific side which is important to learn if we want to be sure of the end product. Through a meat thermometer, we can be sure of the temperature of the meat as it is related to the “doneness” of what we are cooking.
To measure the internal temperature of meat, a meat thermometer comes with a metal rod which has a sharp point to be inserted in the meat. It also has a display for the user to see the temperature. It may be digital or dial method. There are thermometers that use the traditional dial method that shows markings for the ideal temperature for certain kinds of meat such as poultry, beef, pork and lamb. This dial is very helpful for the user to see easily when the right time to stop cooking is. Or better yet, the use of a meat thermometer with an alarm is ideal if you want to be sure that you will not forget to turn it off as soon as it is done.
For cooking professionals, they consider a meat thermometer as an in important tool. We all want to enjoy a roasted turkey that is well done. We wouldn’t want to see our steak or grilled pork having blood as we cut it through. With a handy tool like a meat thermometer designed specifically for meats, we can avoid serving raw or half done dishes and end up spoiling a special meal. To have an accurate temperature of the meat, it is important to know at which part of the meat the metal probe should be inserted. Generally, it is essential to insert it at the thickest part of the meat but touching the bone should be avoided for you may not have an inaccurate temperature of the meat. Bones conduct heat and could give a higher estimate of temperature.
A meat thermometer helps us enjoy steaks with the right doneness. We must also use the thermometer properly to achieve accurate measurements. In lamb, veal or beef, the point should not be touching the bone, cartilage and fat. It also applies to pork. For other foods such as eggs and ground meat, the probe should be inserted at the thickest part of the dish. Cooking is considered to be a talent, for there are people who are cook well even if they do not have a formal training, but there are times when it also involves scientific methods such as when temperatures should be measured to achieve desired end product. With equipment like a meat thermometer, cooking is made easier.
How to Choose the Best Meat Thermometer
1. As a measuring device, it has to be accurate. Accuracy is essential for equipment such a temperature for the user depends on its readings for him to decide to stop or continue cooking, or to achieve the desired doneness for the food. Meat can be quite challenging to prepare for it has to have a certain temperature to be assured that the pathogens found on it are already killed, and to also be assured that it is tender enough to eat. The best meat temperature should produce the most accurate temperature readings and could be stand frequent use.
2. The best meat thermometer should read temperatures quickly. An average time of about 5 seconds is good enough, but excellent ones can read in as fast as 2 seconds. You can also find thermometers that can have a variety of temperature range which you can use both on freezing and cooking meat.
3. The thickness of the metal probe should also be considered in choosing the best meat thermometer. Thin ones are preferable for it can be inserted easily and leaves thin holes as well. Chefs who want a good presentation for their roasted chicken or hams prefer thin probes to seal the hole faster. If holes are thick, important juices from the meat can also come out. Others prefer thermometers that can be adjusted or calibrated. It is also important for thermometers to be water resistant and cleans easily.
4. Most cooks consider the best meat thermometer to be easy to use. The most ideal device is one that involves less complicated steps in using, which takes only a few buttons and settings to use.
5. Price may also be a major consideration, but prices of this type of device can vary greatly. Though there are durable ones that doesn’t cost too much.
6. Meat thermometers should be durable enough to last longer, but it is also important to be mindful about the availability of parts in case it has to be replaced. The distributor should also be willing to offer longer warranty. Repairs should also be offered at a reasonable price after the end of warranty.
Meat thermometers vary in type. There are digital and dial displays. There are oven-safe and stand-alone types but in choosing the right one, you must consider a particular type that could serve you best according to how you will use it. A good reputation of the manufacturing company also helps in choosing the best one.
Check out the 8 Best Meat Thermometers on the market right now:
1. Famili OT008 Wireless Food Meat Cooking Electronic Thermometer Dual Probe
2. Supreme Home Cook, Touchscreen Digital Meat Cooking Thermometer
3. Paksh Novelty Cooking Bundle – Digital Meat Timer, Thermometer Probe
4. Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo Ambidextrous Backlit Instant Read Digital Meat Thermometer
5. Amir Digital Instant Read Thermometer, Cooking Thermometer Electronic Barbecue Meat Thermometer
6. Innoo Tech Instant Read Thermometer – BBQ Meat Thermometer
7. Alpha Grillers Instant Read BBQ Meat Thermometer For Grill And Cooking