For companies that are still not using the “paperless” method and are continuously involved with tons of hard copies of documents, massive amounts of paper are archived and accumulated each year. Eventually, there will come a time when these documents will have to be disposed. Employees will come face to face with a lot of paper shredding. But some paper shredders end up malfunctioning because they cannot just take the amount of papers to be shredded. This poses a problem not only to the employees but also to the business owners because the repair of the machine will cost them money. That is why you should really look for the best paper shredders out there.
Some may think that to have the best paper shredders, a huge amount of money needs to be shelled out. But this is not true. You just need to take your time in looking for the shredder that will pass the basic requirements. Brands usually do not matter. Choosing the best paper shredders is most of the time subjective, in terms of the buyer’s standards. It is recommended to list down your standards and requirements before actually looking for the perfect machine for you. This way, you’ll be more organized and smarter in your purchase.
To help you in finding the best paper shredders, here are some factors that you should consider:
- 10 Best Paper Shredders 2017
- 1. Fellowes Powershred 99Ci 100% Jam Proof 18-Sheet Cross-Cut Heavy Duty Paper Shredder (3229901)
- 2. Royal 1840MX 18-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper Shredder
- 3. HSM shredstar PS817C, 17-Sheet, Cross-Cut, 7.1-Gallon Capacity, Continuous Operation Shredder
- 4. AmazonBasics 24-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder with Pullout Basket
- 5. Bonsaii EverShred C149-C 18-Sheet Cross-cut Shredder with 6 Gallon Wastebasket Capacity and 4 Casters
- 6. SimplyShred PSC310D 10 Sheet Micro Cut Heavy Duty Paper Shredder
- 7. Sentinel FM101P 10-Sheet High Security Micro-Cut Paper/Credit Card Shredder
- 8. AmazonBasics 12-Sheet High-Security Micro-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder with Pullout Basket
- 9. Swingline Paper Shredder, 14 Sheet, Super Cross-Cut, Junk Mail, Credit Card, DVDS, 1 User, ProStyle+ (1757391)
- 10. AmazonBasics 6-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper and Credit Card Shredder
Type of Cut
There are three main types of shredders in the market.
- The straight cut is like cutting the paper into straight long strips. This is the most common type so this is easier to reassemble compared to the other two.
- The second one is the confetti cut. This type cuts into different sizes and is the most difficult to reassemble.
- The last is the crosscut, which cuts your paper into smaller pieces. The size of the paper, however, will depend on the model of the shredder. Some are designed to cut papers into much smaller pieces, which makes it difficult if ever you want to put the pieces back together.
In terms of prices, the straight cut shredder is the cheapest among the three. But if you want to make sure that confidential information will not leak, it is recommended to purchase either the confetti or cross-cut shredder.
This feature is usually neglected but must not be taken for granted, especially if you have piles of paper to shred. Although most machines are capable of handling thick piles of paper at a single shredding, it’s still better to choose a shredder that is designed with a higher sheet capacity. It is indeed very tiring if you sit beside the shredder and put the paper one by one. But if you don’t want to spend as much money as you would if you buy a machine with a higher capacity, you can opt for a smaller one – just make it a habit to shred daily. It would be a huge burden if you will just let your papers pile up.
What is the best Paper Shredder on the market? There are tons of Paper Shredders out there, we did a lot of research on Paper Shredders to save your precious time. Here is our best Paper Shredders list of 2017:
1. Fellowes Powershred 99Ci 100% Jam Proof 18-Sheet Cross-Cut Heavy Duty Paper Shredder (3229901)
The Fellowes Powershred 99Ci Cross-Cut Shredder can shred up to 18 sheets of paper per pass into 397 (5/32” x 1-1/2” Security Level P-4) cross-cut particles. This machine also safely shreds CDs/DVDs, credit cards, staples, paper clips and junk mail. Achieve hassle-free shredding with all of the features the 99Ci has to offer. Get three levels of advanced jam prevention with Fellowes 100% Jam Proof System which eliminates paper jams, powers through tough jobs and maximizes productivity. To protect more than your identity, the patented SafeSense Technology is designed with an electronic safety sensor that surrounds the paper entry and automatically disables the shredder when hands touch the paper opening. Also, the 99Ci’s SilentShred Technology and Energy Savings System allow this machine to integrate easily to any environment. With the ability to shred for up to 30 minutes before a cool down period is needed, the 99Ci is ideal for 1-3 users and includes a 9-gallon pull-out bin. Backed by a worry-free 2-year product and service warranty plus lifetime cutter warranty.
2. Royal 1840MX 18-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper Shredder
It can shred up to 18 sheets of paper in a single pass into small 5/32′ x 1 1/8′ shreds. Separate slots are provided for shredding CDs, DVDs, and credit cards. This makes the 1840MX perfect for destroying sensitive information. The 1840MX has an easy slide-out 8 1/2 gallon wastebasket with a clear viewing window in the front that enables you to see when the wastebasket needs emptying, as well as a bin full alarm. Please note that in brand new products, a few pieces of shredded paper may be found inside the shredder and the waste basket. This is normal. All Royal shredders are tested at the factory to insure quality.
3. HSM shredstar PS817C, 17-Sheet, Cross-Cut, 7.1-Gallon Capacity, Continuous Operation Shredder
The epitome of “function meets affordability”, this compact personal shredder has simple-to-use features in a convenient design. Tackles small amounts of documents and data with the touch of a finger. Ideal for 1-3 users, the shredstar PS817c powers through an 17 sheets per pass, creating 430 cross-cut particles per page and can also shred staples, paper clips, credit/store cards and CDs/DVDs. With manual & automatic reversing functions and automatic start/stop, this paper shredder has a full bag indicator & overload protection for it’s 7.1 gallon bin. Casters allow for mobility around your small office/home office. Lifetime warranty on cutting cylinder.
4. AmazonBasics 24-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder with Pullout Basket
Cross-cut paper shredder with 24-sheet capacity destroys credit cards, CDs, and DVDs Shreds paper into strips measuring 7/32 by 1-27/32 inches LED indicators: Standby, Overheat, Overload and Door open Auto start and auto reverse to clear paper jams Measures 26.2 by 16.3 by 11.9 inches 7-gallon pullout bin thermal protection with auto shut-off.
5. Bonsaii EverShred C149-C 18-Sheet Cross-cut Shredder with 6 Gallon Wastebasket Capacity and 4 Casters
The Bonsaii C149-C Shredder is a high quality and library quiet multi-purpose 18-sheet Cross-cut shredder. It accepts paper, CD/DVDs, credit cards and staples. Medium duty motor can shred 5.3 feet per minute. 8.7″ paper entry can accept letter and legal-size documents. Quiet motor dampens grinding and shredding noise.
6. SimplyShred PSC310D 10 Sheet Micro Cut Heavy Duty Paper Shredder
A high quality and quiet 10-sheet micro-cut shredder. It accepts paper, CD/DVD, credit card and staples. Heavy duty motor can shred 8.5 feet per minute. 8.9″ paper entry can accept letter and legal-size documents. Quiet motor dampens grinding and shredding noise.
7. Sentinel FM101P 10-Sheet High Security Micro-Cut Paper/Credit Card Shredder
The Sentinel 10 Sheet Micro-Cut Shredder is a medium duty shredder. A 4mm x 10mm micro-cut shred for optimum security of your personal data. Auto start/stop means you simply leave the shredder on and simply feed the paper or credit card into the intake. A manual reverse function allows you to reverse the cutting blades in the event of a jam. Want to shred a credit card? No problem, the Sentinel 10 Sheet Micro-Cut Shredder can do that too. Simple to empty with a slide out 4 gallon wastebasket. No plastic bags required; simply slide out the wastebasket, and dump the shredded material in the dumpster. Casters make moving the Sentinel 10 Sheet Micro-Cut Shredder easy. Reliable, easy to use and easy to empty makes the Sentinel 10 Sheet Micro-Cut Shredder a must have for home or office.
8. AmazonBasics 12-Sheet High-Security Micro-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder with Pullout Basket
Thoroughly shred multi-page documents (up to 12 sheets at a time) with this AmazonBasics high-security micro-cut shredder. Offering a shred speed of 6 feet per minute, and a continuous shred cycle of eight minutes, the machine quickly turns paper into tiny confetti-like pieces. The micro-cut shredder turns a letter-size sheet of paper into about 2,235 pieces, each measuring 5/32 by 15/32 inches (4 by 12 mm). By comparison, that same sheet of paper becomes only 360 pieces using a typical cross-cut shredder.
9. Swingline Paper Shredder, 14 Sheet, Super Cross-Cut, Junk Mail, Credit Card, DVDS, 1 User, ProStyle+ (1757391)
Shreds up to 14 sheets at a time, including most unopened junk mail; includes 5-gallon pull-out waste bin makes emptying fast and easy. Shreds DVDs and CDs through a separate cutter to prevent wear and tear of the main cutters and extend shredder life. Stylish design and compact size for personal use; super cross-cut shred style meets everyday security needs (Level P-4); features illuminated cool-down indicator and other status symbols.
10. AmazonBasics 6-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper and Credit Card Shredder
Thoroughly shred multi-page documents (up to six sheets at a time) with this AmazonBasics cross-cut shredder. The machine quickly turns paper into strips measuring 7/32 by 1-27/32 inches. Use the shredder to destroy ATM receipts, credit-card bills, mortgage statements, pay stubs, insurance packets, and other old or unwanted info. It will even shred credit cards (one at a time), and there’s no need to remove staples or small paper clips. Cross-cut shredder with 3.8-gallon bin. 6-sheet capacity (no need to remove staples). Destroys credit cards (one at a time).