Pizza stones designed for home ovens help overcome this obstacle and are available in a variety of styles and materials, some of which require greasing.
There are three main materials typically used to make pizza stones, including clay or stone, cast iron, and steel. All are available in various shapes and sizes, although cast iron stones tend to be square or rectangular, and all come with advantages and disadvantages.
1. Cast Iron
- Quickly heats
- Easy to clean
- Typically has handles
- Sturdy and durable
- Only recommended for temperatures up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Not hot enough for most home pizza recipes
2. Clay or Stone
- Produces very crispy crusts
- Available in many thicknesses, sizes and weights
- Wide range of prices
- Requires minimum of 30 minutes preheating
- Susceptible to cracking or breaking
- Usually has no handles
- Easily stains and hard to clean
- Dependably cooks quickly and evenly
- Stabilizes at lower temperatures than clay or stone,
- Will not crack or break
- Usually has no handles
- Very heavy
Before choosing a pizza stone, carefully consider the size of the oven, how much weight the baker can comfortably lift, and available storage space. Another important consideration is whether the stone requires grease when baking.
- 11 Best Pizza Stones 2017
- 1. Old Stone Oven Round Pizza Stone, 16-Inch
- 2. Emile Henry Made in France Flame Top Pizza Stone
- 3. Solido Pizza Stone – Baking Stone. Rectangular 14″x16″ – Perfect for Oven, BBQ and Grill
- 4. California Pizza Stones 16 X 16 X 1 Square Industrial Pizza Stone
- 5. Old Stone Oven Rectangular Pizza Stone, 14.5-Inch x 16.5-Inch
- 6. Culinary Couture Round Pizza Stone 15 Inch 3/4″ Extra Thick
- 7. Heritage, 15 inch Black Ceramic Pizza Stone
- 8. Dough-Joe® 15″ x 18″ Pizza and Baking Stone (5-piece set)
- 9. Pizzacraft 16.5″ Round Cordierite Baking/Pizza Stone – For Oven or Grill – PC9898
- 10. Dough-Joe® Pizza and Baking Stone 14.5″ Round by 7/8″ Thick (USA)
- 11. Pizzacraft PC9899 20 x 13.5 Rectangular Cordierite Baking/Pizza Stone for Oven or Grill
What is the best Pizza Stone on the market? There are tons of Pizza Stones out there, we did a lot of research on Pizza Stones to save your precious time. Here is our best Pizza Stones list of 2017:
1. Old Stone Oven Round Pizza Stone, 16-Inch
Baking stone creates a multilayered crunchy-chewy pizza or bread crust. Large 16” size perfect for family-size pizzas
Handmade in the US of US materials. Specially engineered Heat Core center concentrates heat in the stone’s middle for evenly crispy crusts, no more soggy centers. Unmatched durability: stone can withstand extreme heat and handle temperature changes without cracking.
2. Emile Henry Made in France Flame Top Pizza Stone
14-1/2-Inch Round Flame Top Pizza Stone is made in France of all natural materials. Designed for use: On grills- gas, charcoal and natural wood; In ovens-conventional and convection; Can also be used under the broiler. The glaze is micro-crazed contributing to crispy well baked crusts. It is also perfect for baking breads. Pizza stone can withstand high oven temperatures. You can also cut directly on the glazed pizza stone without damaging or scratching the surface. Easy to clean with soap or water it is also dishwasher safe. 10 year warranty against manufacturing defects.
3. Solido Pizza Stone – Baking Stone. Rectangular 14″x16″ – Perfect for Oven, BBQ and Grill
Through incredible extensive testing and trying, they know you’ll get superb results every single time. Be ready to blow away your friends and family with AWESOME pizza. Easily beating every round pizza stone or pizza pan, this baking stone has a bigger surface area, yet still fits all standard ovens. EXCLUSIVE heat spiral heats your Solido pizza stone faster and stores heat in the center. This means you’ll cook the toppings in the middle just as deeply and flavorful as the ones on the edges. And yes: works for ready-made frozen pizza as well! The Solido cooking stone combines its UNIQUE heat spiral with beautifully crafted feet on the underside to keep the stone balanced, giving you superior grip and easy maneuverability.
4. California Pizza Stones 16 X 16 X 1 Square Industrial Pizza Stone
The perfect pizza stone for the perfect pizza. These are not designer stones that look pretty and crack during the first use. The Pizza Stones are rough and rugged. They are made of a high grade Non-Toxic Mullite mixture, containing a very high quantity of grog. This makes the Baking Stones virtually indestructible and impervious to thermal shock. 100% Guarantee against cracking and thermal shock. If for any reason one of the pizza or baking stones cracks while using it they will replace it!!! These pizza stones are very porous allowing pizza moisture to be absorbed making for a very crispy crust.
5. Old Stone Oven Rectangular Pizza Stone, 14.5-Inch x 16.5-Inch
Professional pizza and traditional European bread ovens are often lined with stone or brick. This is so heat is stored up and redistributed evenly. The resulting blast of heat from the Old Stone Oven rectangular pizza stone gives bread and pizza a nice chewy crust. The rustic French tarts called galettes are also well suited to a baking stone. To use the stone, place it in a cold oven and preheat to 500 degrees for pizza, or according to the recipe for bread or galettes. The stone is made of the same material that lines blast furnaces and kilns, so it can handle ultra-high temperatures.
6. Culinary Couture Round Pizza Stone 15 Inch 3/4″ Extra Thick
Culinary couture’s pizza stone helps you make mouth-watering pizzas, every time. Sturdy, high density cordierite stone that will last you for years. 3/4″ thickness for even heat distribution & crispy crust pizza baking! Extreme heat resistance, absolute baking safety in all ovens & grills. Ample, 15″ surface area allows you to both prepare & bake large, family-sized pizzas. Bakes every pizza to perfection; no soggy centers or uneven crusts!
7. Heritage, 15 inch Black Ceramic Pizza Stone
50% faster than other pizza and baking stones, great for bbq. It will not stain and washes to like new condition every time. Odorless and will keep your pizza tasting great. Durable, pizza stone will not crack in oven and guaranteed to last a life time.
8. Dough-Joe® 15″ x 18″ Pizza and Baking Stone (5-piece set)
These are dense, thick cordierite and are far more heat shock resistant. Their thickness allows them to contain a huge amount of heat. 5-piece set of 6×9-inch tiles allows the flexibility of cooking small items like bread or a large pizza.
Multiple stones are less prone to oven stress breakage than one large stone. They actually do not move around much unless you really strike them hard. Works perfectly on the grill and small grills benefit with the ability to mix the stones around. Actual weight of 5 is about 15 pounds. Made in USA.
9. Pizzacraft 16.5″ Round Cordierite Baking/Pizza Stone – For Oven or Grill – PC9898
Cooking pizza from scratch is becoming more popular among enthusiasts and the economically-minded alike. Making pizza at home leaves you free to experiment, select the best ingredients, and save the money you’d have spent tipping the delivery guy. This Pizzacraft baking stone is perfect for pizza, bread, pastries and other food, eliminating hot spots while cooking, and producing a uniformly browned crust. Just like food baked in a professional brick-lined oven – but it’s from your kitchen or grill. This stone is also convenient for heating and re-heating ready-made frozen pizzas and baked goods. Easy to maintain as the stone requires no seasoning or conditioning. Thermal shock resistant.
10. Dough-Joe® Pizza and Baking Stone 14.5″ Round by 7/8″ Thick (USA)
At 7/8″ thick, these are nearly as thick as a quarter is wide. These hold a huge amount of heat and are perfect for multiple-pizza cooks. You will get results like those in a pizzeria. This stone is porous and will emit smoke and a strong odor if seasoned. Allow to season with use. Works perfectly on the grill. At 14 1/2″ these are ideal for most grills. At 7/8″ thickness, these have unmatched heat transfer and are very warm hours after use.
11. Pizzacraft PC9899 20 x 13.5 Rectangular Cordierite Baking/Pizza Stone for Oven or Grill
Make your own delicious pizza at home and reheat ready-made frozen pizza. Not just for pizza, can bake bread, pastries and other goods. Thermal shock resistant. New and improved version is even more durable and fits standard ovens. Measures 20″ by 13.5″ by .67″.