- Buying Guide
- There are Different Types of Post Hole Diggers to Choose from:
- 1. Heavy Duty Traditional Post hole Digger
- 2. Split Handled Post hole Digger
- 3. Eric Hole Digger or the “Boston Digger”
- 4. The Hole Deal
- 5. All Metal Post hole Digger
- Other Types:
- 1. Jackson Dig EZ Post Hole Digger – 1715100
- 2. Seymour DG-16 6-1/2-Inch Post Hole Digger
- 3. Seymour Structron Hercules Post Hole Digger PD48
- 4. UnionTools Post Hole Digger, Atlas Pattern – 78003
- 5. Bully Tools 92382 14-Gauge 5.25-Inch Post Hole Digger with Fiberglass Handle
- 6. Kodiak Post Hole Digger
- 7. 48″ GP PH Digger
- 8. Seymour Promotional Post Hole Digger with Wood Handle DG-60
“Good fences make good neighbors and good fences start with proper post holes”.
A Post Hole Digger, as its name suggests, is a tool that is used for digging post holes. It is made up of two shovel blades hinged in an arrangement that resembles a jaw. Each of these shovel blade has its own handle. To utilize the post hole digger, the handles are held together when the ground is being struck. When the blades pierce the ground, the handles are forced to pull apart causing the jaw to close. The closed jaw holds the dirt so that it is removed from the hole easily. A post hole digger is so effective and efficient that it can dig a 3-inches deep hole in less than five minutes.
These helpful tools can be found in almost any local hardware or Do-It-Yourself (DIY) store.
There are Different Types of Post Hole Diggers to Choose from:
1. Heavy Duty Traditional Post hole Digger
This type is equipped with large blades that have been proven to work effectively. They are the same types that are employed by telephone pole installers as they are suitable for digging very deep holes manually.
2. Split Handled Post hole Digger
The blades on this type of post hole digger are attached by welding and not by riveting like other types. The handles are held together by two bolts which are easy to replace whenever necessary. The split handles are used in a to-and-fro motion.
3. Eric Hole Digger or the “Boston Digger”
This type is designed to dig effectively in gravel and stony soils. It is said to be really good at dislodging stones, cutting roots and sizing and shaping holes. It has a single point which reaches down and removes the dirt. The levered scoop hinges down and pulls out the dirt from the hole.
4. The Hole Deal
This one claims to be the best of all post hole diggers. It boasts ease of use because of its hinged leverage point that opens and closes the digger with little hand movement. It is perfect for digging straight-sided holes and also holes as deep as 5 feet. It requires less effort to operate than its other counterparts. The carbon steels have good edge retention and a long life span.
5. All Metal Post hole Digger
The suppliers of this type have claimed that it fosters more productive digging.
Post hole diggers are also categorized into three categories, which are, hand held, small motor powered and implements.
- The Hand Held is the most commonly used and the least expensive post hole digger. They must be lightweight to reduce the operator’s workload.
- The Small Motor is also handheld but is powered by a small motor with a hydraulic system. They work faster than hand held types.
- Implements are designed to be used alongside tractors or other heavy equipment. They perform well in hard, rocky soils and whenever there is need for speed.
Check out the 8 Best Post Hole Diggers on the market right now:
1. Jackson Dig EZ Post Hole Digger – 1715100
2. Seymour DG-16 6-1/2-Inch Post Hole Digger
3. Seymour Structron Hercules Post Hole Digger PD48
4. UnionTools Post Hole Digger, Atlas Pattern – 78003
5. Bully Tools 92382 14-Gauge 5.25-Inch Post Hole Digger with Fiberglass Handle
6. Kodiak Post Hole Digger
7. 48″ GP PH Digger