The more you know about sump pumps the better you will be able to determine the right pump for you. The two most common types of sump pumps are marine (bilge) pumps and home (basement) pumps:
- Marine pumps work of the boat’s engine or are hand powered.
- Home pumps are electrical.
- 9 Best Sump Pumps 2017
- 1. Zoeller M267 Waste-Mate Sewage Pump, 1/2 Horsepower, 115V
- 2. Flotec FP5172 1-1/2 HP Self-Priming High Capacity Sprinkler Pump
- 3. EcoPlus 728340 Eco 7400 Submersible Pump, 7400GPH
- 4. Zoeller 57-0001 M57 Basement High Capacity Sump Pump
- 5. WAYNE CDU980E 3/4 HP Submersible Cast Iron and Stainless Steel Sump Pump
- 6. Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump, 1/3 Hp
- 7. Liberty Pumps 257 Discharge 250-Series Cast Iron Automatic Submersible Sump
- 8. Little Giant 6-CIA 1/3 Horsepower Submersible Sump Pump
- 9. Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump
1. Marine Sump Pump
Marine sump pumps work to keep the balance of water ballast in the boat. Placed in the bilge under the water line it pumps the water out through the bilge valve also below the water line. There are many brands and sizes of bilge pumps but they all work in the same fashion, either by engine power or by manual pumping.
2. Basement Sump Pump
Basement sump pumps work to remove as much water as possible from your home. Based on your basement’s water volume you will want either a stand-type sump pump or a submersible sump pump.
- A stand-type sump pump works well for large volumes of water. Typically, they are about two and a half feet tall. A float attached to an arm triggers the on/off switch when the water level is high enough to move it. As the water recedes, the float drops until it triggers the on/off switch again. It has to remain in a standing position to work and it will not work if the water is higher than it is tall.
- A submersible pump is smaller, usually between a foot and a foot and a half tall. It does not pump as quickly as a stand-type sump pump. This type of sump pump is good for frequent water in the basement. It will usually pump around thirty gallons of water an hour. Since it has a smaller motor than a stand-type pump, you will need to replace it every couple of years if you get water in your basement frequently.
Regardless of which type of sump pump you decide on you will need two things. The first is a power supply that is above your highest water level. This power supply should be within six feet of the placement of your pump. The second thing you will need is a garden hose. Attach the hose to the pump and make sure it has a clear path to the outside. A crimped hose will stop either pump from working.
Ideally, you will probably want one of each. The tall stand-type will draw the water out more quickly, especially nice during heavy rainfall. Once your basement is clear, the smaller pump will keep the water down without needing a high volume of water to draw on.
What is the best Sump Pump on the market? There are tons of Sump Pumps out there, we did a lot of research on Sump Pumps to save your precious time. Here is our best Sump Pumps list of 2017:
1. Zoeller M267 Waste-Mate Sewage Pump, 1/2 Horsepower, 115V
This product is high quality product and highly durable. Non-clogging vortex impeller design. This is easy to use and easy to install. Durable cast iron switch cap, motor, and pump housing. Not effected by materials normally found in drainage and sewage sumps. This product is manufactured in United States.
2. Flotec FP5172 1-1/2 HP Self-Priming High Capacity Sprinkler Pump
This Flotec model is a self-priming, corrosion-resistant, high-capacity sprinkler pump that’s constructed of rugged, heavy-duty fiberglass-reinforced thermoplastic. Capable of operating up to 30 sprinkler heads and designed for continuous operation, this pump delivers 115/230 motor voltage and offers dual voltage capability. Ideal for lawn sprinkling, the self-priming design of this efficient model permits use on automatic sprinkler systems as well as on de-watering and water transfer. For added convenience, this 1.5 HP pump has an easily accessible design that makes it a snap to reach parts that need service due to normal wear and tear. It also comes with a 1-year warranty.
3. EcoPlus 728340 Eco 7400 Submersible Pump, 7400GPH
These submersible water pumps are great for everything from fountains to hydroponic systems. The pumps have an inside threaded fittings and the flow is non-adjustable. Powerful oil-free, rare earth rotor magnet. Ceramic shaft and bearing insures reliability. Trouble free one moving part. Strainer protects impeller from damage. 550 watts power. 7400 Gallons per hour. Comes with 392 inch 120 volt power cord. Inlet is 2.375″ NPT and the outlet is 2.375″ NPT .
4. Zoeller 57-0001 M57 Basement High Capacity Sump Pump
Corrosion-resistant, powder-coated epoxy finish. No sheet-metal parts to rust or corrode; all stainless steel screws, switch arm, guard, and handle. Watertight neoprene square ring between motor and pump housing. 1-1/2-inch NPT discharge and passes 1/2-inch spherical solids. Equipped with a 0.3-horsepower motor.
5. WAYNE CDU980E 3/4 HP Submersible Cast Iron and Stainless Steel Sump Pump
3/4 hp, cast iron/stainless steel, submersible sump pump, with vertical switch, designed for 11 inch diameter or larger sump basin, pumps up to 4600 gph at 0′, durable cast iron volute, reliable, reinforced poly carbonate impeller, corrosion resistant stainless steel motor housing & fasteners, top suction design filters debris & minimizes clogging, oil filled, thermally protected motor prevents overheating, designed for easy installation without any Plumbing changes, epoxy coated steel, high performance 3/4 hp, motor, 1-1/2 inch NPT discharge & durable cast iron base, easy carry handle for portability, float guard protects switch from hang ups, 5 year warranty.
6. Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump, 1/3 Hp
Zoeller Pump Co. M-53 Mighty Mate clear effluent or dewatering submersible pump. Choice of many plumbers and contractors. 1/3 HP cast iron housing with plastic vortex impeller. 9ft. power cord. Truely a all star pump. Powder coated epoxy CI and SS fastners. Oil filled motor with thermal overload. CSA UL SSPMA.
7. Liberty Pumps 257 Discharge 250-Series Cast Iron Automatic Submersible Sump
Liberty Pumps 257 is a 1/3HP Automatic Submersible Sump Pump with with magnetically operated vertical float VMF switch and 10ft power cord. Turn-on level of the not adjustable switch is 7″ and turn-off level is 3-1/2″. This pump can operate in a smaller 10″ diameter sump pit.The Liberty Pumps 257 has 1-1/2″ NPT discharge, 1/2″ solids-handling, 18′ shut-off head, a unique one-piece cast iron housing and thermally protected permanently lubricated motor. For Sump and De-watering Applications only. This Vertical Magnetic Float (VMF) model is not recommended for effluent applications due to their short On/Off cycle. Wide angle float models (Liberty Pumps 251 and 253) are better suited for effluent applications and are easily adjustable for different On/Off levels. For added protection, consider the addition of a back-up pump such as Liberty’s SJ10 SumpJet, as well as an alarm such as Liberty’s ALM-2 in applications where loss of pump function could result in property damage. If an alarm is used, it must be connected to a separate electrical circuit. CAUTION Do not let the pump run dry.
8. Little Giant 6-CIA 1/3 Horsepower Submersible Sump Pump
Little Giant 6-CIA has a diaphragm pressure switch which engages the pump at 7-Inch to 10-Inch water level and turns it off at 1-Inch to 4-Inch. It is one of the most popular sump pumps and works extremely well for moving large volumes of water. It has 1/3 HP shaded pole motor with overload protection and is designed for continuous duty. Typical applications include commercial, industrial, and home uses where liquid must be transferred or recirculated.
9. Superior Pump 91250 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Utility Pump
The Superior Pump 1/4-Horsepower Submersible Utility Pump offers exceptional power in a small, durable frame. Able to pump 30 gallons a minute up to 25 feet of vertical height, this tough submersible pump features durable thermoplastic construction and a compact design that can fit inside a 6-inch opening. Designed to drain standing water from any enclosed environment, the Superior Pump is ideal for flooded basements, farm use, and typical residential or commercial water transfer applications. An optional float switch can be added to allow this model to be used as a sump pump.