Weight bench is a foundation of strength and the weight training program, especially for the home gym. They are effective, versatile and you can find the best quality without breaking the bank. It should be the first piece of equipment you should buy when you think of setting up a home or garage gym.
Weight bench has been a popular choice to be used at home due to its adaptability over gyms. You can combine it with barbells and dumbbells to give you a limitless range of exercise that covers all of your major muscles. A weight bench has a variety of exercise, not only for your chest, but also your back, triceps and abs. When looking for a bench, go to a quality bench that can support your weight and the additional weight of what you are lifting.
When you get stronger, the weight it needs to support. Therefore a bench, which can handle your gain is required. It should be stable under any load and strong.
How Do Weight Benches Benefits?
Weight benches have an important role to play in the daily exercise routine of people. Here are some of view benefits that I have highlighted trough this article:
1. Targets different body muscles
Hyperextensions are difficult movements and only the weight benches can aid this movement. This helps in strengthening the lower back muscle and improving the posture and core stability.
2. Supports heavy lifters
Weight bench provides the full support needed in lifting heavy weight and can’t buckle or break under any strain. It provides the user with more confidence to focus on the muscles without stressing about losing control or balance during lifting.
3. Used for multiple purposes in one workout
Weight bench is not only used for dumbbell and barbell exercises, it can also work as step for step ups, a mat for abdominal exercise or a platform for pushups. They can also be used in cardio exercises.
4. Beginner benefits
New trainers struggle to remember the proper technique, posture and breathing guide lines, the bench help to teach basic principles that can help you use the bench properly.
What To Look For in A Weight Bench
1. Weight it can handle
You should ensure that the weight bench you are purchasing is strong enough to handle any weight. Use weight ratings to identify the weight you need.
2. Is it stable?
You should not buy a poorly constructed weight bench that wobble every time you press. Such benches are not only unsafe but also annoying when pumping some serious weights.
Look at the warranty, what does it cover and for how long.
Compare the price of two benches, while you don’t want to purchase a cheap bench, also make sure you don’t pay more for a good bench.
How To Buy A Weight Bench
There are a number of benches in the market, whether an expert, beginner or casual they can help you achieve your goal. Here are some of things to consider in buying a weight bench.
1. Purpose of the bench
Consider the fitness goals you would like to achieve since the weight benches can do different workouts. People have different goals they want to achieve.
2. The type of the bench
When determining the bench to buy, consider the type. We have four types of weight benches this includes; Flat benches, decline weight benches, military branches and incline weight benches.
3. Addition extensions
Consider adding an additional exercise equipment to the bench. Leg extensions are essential in a decline bench. By doing so you can add versatility to your bench.
Whatever your needs are, you can use the bench to tighten, build your muscles and stay healthy and fit. With all the available benches you can target the upper and lower body muscles in order to achieve your desired results.
What is the best Weight Bench on the market today? There are tons of Weight Benches out there, we did a lot of research on Weight Benches to save your precious time and money. Here are our best Weight Benches 2017:
#1. Body-Solid Flat Incline Decline Bench
- Body-Solid Flat Incline Decline Bench – Ask any personal trainer or fitness professional what they would buy if they were only allowed to purchase one piece of strength training equipment and the Flat/Incline/Decline Bench is sure to be at the top of the list
- Perfect fit for all Smith Machines, Power Racks, and Multi-Press Racks
- 600 lbs. capacity
- Height from floor to top of pad in flat position 20″
- Space between seat pad and back pad in flat position 3″
- Assembled dimensions: 59″ L x 27″ W x 22″ H
Pros: great customer support, reasonable price, nearly perfect adjustable bench, great for anyone who is serious about their workouts, good solid bench for the home gym, high quality, comfortable, versatility, well-built, sturdy, well made, decent for low-load lifting, wheels for easy movement, it has held up well to constant use, declines for sit ups and bench presses, the seat adjustment is very helpful in aligning hips, the frame still snugs down tight for no wiggle, the ease of moving the seat between the decline flat and incline positions, you’ll love the feel and thickness of the padding, it has a leg raise attachment and removable, it has a lifetime warranty …
Cons: it is a little high, the gap between the seat and the back support is a little too big when using the decline position …
#2. Marcy Diamond Olympic Surge Bench
- When investing in your personal fitness it is wise to not ignore any facet of your workout routine
- With the Marcy Diamond Olympic Surge Bench you will no longer have to leave the development of underworked muscle groups to chance
- Utilizing the four back pad positions allows you to pinpoint your pectoral workout while the adjustable arm curl support pad and arm curl bar make total arm exercises simple and effective
- The seat and back pad operate on a slide track that place you in the exact positions to execute proper military and chest press exercises to keep you safe and increase the benefit of the workout
- The contoured roller pads and dual-function leg developer make sure your legs are kept in the mix as well
- One of the unique features of this bench is the inclusion of two bar catches on the rear of the frame which gives you the space and freedom to perform squats (an activity commonly relegated to large fitness centers now in your own workout room)
- The Olympic Surge Bench comes with easy to follow assembly instructions that will have you enjoying the advantages of this fitness system in no time
- The durable steel structure and accommodating design give you everything you need to achieve a full body workout
Pros: on time delivery, great packing, arrived on good conditions, strong and stable Olympic weight bench, easy to assemble and start using, perfect for the average home user, well designed with taller lifters in mind, the bench itself is comfortable and has a good width, easy multipurpose workout configurations definitely it can do a lot of things, the moving parts have enough options to accommodate all your needs, the safety pins are great, there are convenient bars on the back for holding weights, the rack is amply wide for performing press exercises, easily movable on carpet, great buy for the money …
Cons: the bench seat is a little wobbly, the leg part could have better range of motion …
#3. Ironmaster Super Bench Adjustable weight-lifting Bench
- Super Strong, Super Versatile, Flat, Incline, Decline, Upright, 11 Angle Bench!
- 11 lock out angles: Inclines, Declines, Flat and Upright
- 0, 5,10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 75, 80 and 85 degrees
- Powder coated grey metallic frame with chrome components
- 1000 lb rated, 11 & 12 gauge super strong steel frame (600 lb rated for incline/upright positions)
- Unique adjustment ring with foot lever adjust operates from both sides and locks up tight! Patented design
- Incline seat follows backrest pad at any angle so it will always be perpendicular unlike other benches where the seat can have a shallow angle allowing the user to slide off
- Ultra stable strong platform in aII positions yet is easy to lift and move
- Does not need wheels. Bench weighs 60 lbs
- Accepts a growing list of optional attachments like the Crunch Situp, Dip Bar Handles and Chin Up Bar
- Ships pre-assembled except for feet so you can start lifting in just a few minutes
- 44″x 10″ x 3″ heavy duty pad and stitched vinyl upholstery
- Very comfortable. 20″ flat bench height. 17″ x 41″ footprint
- The 3 position incline seat fits users of diferent heights
- Note: the incline seat pad is now a tapered shape so the back is wider and the front is narrower for more comfort
Pros: this is the best bench for small spaces, perfect for crunches, leg raises, easy to assemble and easy to use, versatile and great addition to home gym, durable and comfortable, lots of available attachments, definitely built tough, super sturdy and quick to adjust, it performs flawlessly, operates very smoothly, it’s standard bench size and will not tip over, dip bar is great, jack-of-all-trades versatility is its best feature, you will not be disappointed in the quality and comfort, well worth the money …
Cons: a little tall for a woman …
#4. XMark Adjustable Dumbbell Weight Bench XM-7630
- XMark Adjustable FID Dumbbell Weight Bench XM-7630 With a 1500 lb. weight capacity
- The XMark Adjustable FID Dumbbell Bench offers unbeatable comfort and durability
- From decline to military press position, this FID bench offers a 7 position adjustable back pad coupled with an ergonomically designed 3 position seat
- Extra thick 3″” Duracraft padding covered in sweat and tear resistant Duraguard Vinyl and a foot hold down bar complete the package giving you the most sturdy and effective bench around
- Train longer, train harder, train with XMark, the mark of excellence
- The XMark Adjustable FID Dumbbell Bench XM-7630 also includes built-in transport wheels for quick storage as well as easy in and out under power cages, cable machines, etc.
- 11 gauge 3″” x 2″” steel construction and bolted on, skid resistant feet
Pros: great customer service, fast shipping, compact size, high quality, extremely stable, easily adjustable, good and steady, very well built piece nice, thick padding, really solid bench, excellent quality multi-bench, good thing for a taller person, perfect for home use, the wheels make moving it simple, ability to use the bench for decline press, it hits the perfect balance of functionality, has six positions you can set it at to give you a lot of flexibility, it will last for many years …
Cons: bolts to hold the cushions are a bit too long, the seat height is a bit high …
#5. Golds Gym XRS20 Weight Bench
- Whether you’re a seasoned fitness enthusiast or a beginner, the Golds Gym XRS20 Weight Bench is the perfect multi-functional piece
- This standard weight bench features adjustable uprights to fit your needs
- The bench features leg lift, leg curls, preacher pad, adjustable weight crutches, and adjustable safety spotters
- Non-intrusive and easy to use, this piece can fit in your basement or home gym area without taking up too much space
- Gray steel weight bench
- Standard size and adjustable features
- Multi-functional with different bench features
- Dimensions: 65L x 49W x 73H in.
Pros: package arrive fast, great for your money, it is best deal for an in-home gym, great for beginners, solid Olympic bench with the most versatility, it’s strong and sturdy, very adjustable, the rack is great for squatting and deadly lifting, the rack and the bench are two separate pieces, easy to move around in small workout room, the leg extension attachment feels sturdy and smooth, it has multiple incline positions, preacher curl attachment is nice, this Olympic bench give you pretty much a full body workout, you can literally do anything with this …
Cons: the squat rack is a little shaky, the equipment isn’t exactly rated to hold higher weight …
#6. Bowflex SelectTech 5.1 Adjustable Bench
- Transforms any space into efficient and effective weight fitness center
- Includes removable leg hold-down brace for decline position
- Excellent muscle-building results with free-weight design 17 degree decline and 90 degree incline
- Simple assembly is required
- Total workout programs
- Adjusts to 6 different positions
- Corrects posture and stabilizes body for safe operation
- Measurements: 56L x 26W x 20H inches
Pros: fast shipment, great packaging, very sturdy and stable wide bench, great piece of home gym equipment, it is a great bench that should last for many years, has wheels for easy storage, simple to adjust to numerous exercises, the large variety of angles you get from the various positions, it is well constructed, easy to assemble, takes up minimal amount of space …
Cons: the rear wheels are too short and don’t hit the floor in some situations, lower back gap …
#7. Valor Fitness CB-6 Adjustable Arm Curl Bench
- Focuses strictly on your bicep muscle group
- Different adjustable positions make the CB-6 perfect for a wide variety of users
- High density, contoured, dual-layer arm rest pad measuring 14-Inch x 24-Inch x 3-Inch
- 4 position arm rest adjustment for +/- 6-Inch range
- High density, tapered, dual-layer seat pad measures 15-Inch x 9-Inch/6-Inch x 3-Inch
- 4 position adjustment bar catch for +/- 6-Inch range
- 5 position seat post adjustment for +/- 4-Inch range
- Recommended for up to 250lbs of bar weight (Bar and weights sold separately)
Pros: great preacher bench, perfect for your home gym, excellent equipment choice for a serious athlete, very prompt with delivery, it is quite affordable, heavy duty, quite sturdy, top notch for home equipment, large enough to be comfortable, the whole station doesn’t flip over, it is very easy assembly, fully adjustable is a big selling point, easy to raise or lower the height of the seat …
Cons: the rubber padding for the bar wouldn’t stick to the bench …
#8. XMark 12 Position Ergonomic Adjustable Decline Ab Bench XM-4416.1
- Designed to allow users to target their abdomen from a variety of angles, the XMark Adjustable Ab Bench offers twelve vertical height adjustments
- Thanks to a support handle located at the feet, mounting and dismounting the bench at steep angles is made much easier
- Built for comfort, the bench features ergonomically positioned leg rollers to reduce back strain, with contoured roller pads and a thick 2.5-inch high-density cushion
Pros: shipped on time, well made, rock solid design, perfect starter for ab workout, best bench you can get for the cost, easy to assemble and adjust, the bed is big and wide enough, it’s good for small place, comfortable to the back, the handle bar makes getting on or off the bench very easy, it has many elevation angles, adjustable for a large number of angles …
Cons: wished it can fold-able to save space …
#9. CAP Barbell Deluxe Utility Bench
- The CAP FM-CB804DX incorporates all of the necessary features and functions found on traditional weightlifting utility benches and incorporates additional features to take advantage of other training methods
- Use the FM-CB804DX as a key component in dumbbell training routines
- Perform a number of upper and lower body exercises while incorporating dumbbell use to hit goals and build / maintain muscle.
- The FM-CB804DX can also be used as the center piece for core exercises
- Great for leg lifts, crunches, twists and more
- Recommended maximum weight capacities for the bench are 500 lb (flat position, including user) and 400 lb (inclined positions, including user)
- The unit is for indoor use only
Pros: arrived timely, good customer service, great bench for a great price, supports 500 lbs, perfect fit to burgeoning fitness room, nice and sturdy, well made, heavy enough to support the weight properly, the quick release handles were a nice touch, easy to adjust for various positions, easy to put together …
Cons: make sure all of the screws and bolts are very tight to avoid some noise …
#10. Marcy Deluxe Utility Bench
- Talk about well-adjusted – the Marcy Utility Bench adjusts to practically any workout
- A back pad adjusts to chest press, incline press, military press, decline press, and flat positions, while the tilting seat adjusts to three positions
- The utility bench made of a durable, powder-coated steel frame with high-density foam and two-tone upholstery
- Plus, transport wheels and a handle grip make for easy moving, and the bench folds flat for no-fuss storage
- Steel powder-coated frame with high-density foam
- Back pad adjusts to six positions
- 3-position tilting seat pad
- Transport wheels and handle grip for easy moving
- Folds flat for no-fuss storage
- Assembled dimensions: 52L x 25W x 46.5H in.
- 2-year manufacturer’s warranty
Pros: reasonable price for what you get, good for upper body exercises, assembly was easy and straight-forward, the construction is very rugged, very ergonomic and adjusts to all positions, doesn’t wobble after adjustments, the seat bottom and back piece seem solidly padded, stable and large enough to accommodate somebody, it is comfortable …
Cons: poor instructions, it does not have leg support to do decline …
#11. PowerBlock Travel Bench
- Don’t sacrifice your weight workout when you’re on road when you use the PowerBlock Travel Weight Bench
- This folding weight bench boasts a built-in handle and folds to only eight inches tall
- It holds up to 550 pounds
- This travel weight bench features a comfortably padded top with easy-clean black vinyl
- 14-gauge 2×3 steel tubing
- Padded top with black vinyl
- Built-in handle
- Folds to 8-in. high
- Dimensions: 40L x 9.5W x 15H in.
- Weight capacity: 550 lbs.
Pros: great bang for the buck, it is a terrific portable bench, solid structure, the pad is of a very high quality, weight limited of more than 500lbs, it does not wobble, easily folds down for closet storage, highly recommend if you have limited space, great light weight small workout bench, easy to put up and take down, perfectly fits all your travel needs, the bench is very firm with no side to side movement …
Cons: the holes to lock one leg into place didn’t line up very well …