When it comes to storing your wines it is best to choose a wine refrigerator or wine cooler. You can choose between under counter wine coolers or freestanding ones but the important aspect is of course, the quality it offers as a wine cooler.
Wine coolers are a great choice if you wish to assist in enhancing the flavor of your wine while also increasing its longevity. Keep in mind that there are several types of wine coolers out there and they vary just as much as the different types of wines.
This is why it is important for you to know the difference between each in order for you to make an informed decision as to what type of wine refrigerator to choose.
- Freestanding or Built-In Wine Coolers
- The Difference between Single and Dual Zone Wine Coolers
- Choosing between Thermoelectric and Compressor-Based Cooling System
- 11 Best Wine Coolers 2017
- #1. 36-Bottle EdgeStar Built-In Dual-Zone French-Door Wine Refrigerator
- #2. 32 Bottle Dual Zone Quiet NewAir AW-321ED Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- #3. Whynter BWR-33SD 33 Bottle Built-In Wine Refrigerator
- #4. 32 BTL Electric Wine Cooler Cellar Chiller Single Zone Blk AZ-ea45ec-75
- #5. Danby 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler
- #6. NewAir AW-281E 28 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- #7. Wine Enthusiast 18-Bottle Touchscreen Wine Refrigerator
- #8. Haier 18-Bottle Dual Zone Curved Door with Smoked Glass Wine Cellar
- #9. NewAir AW-181E Space Saver 18 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- #10. Wine Enthusiast Silent 12 Bottle Wine Refrigerator
- #11. HOMEIMAGE 8 Bottle Thermal Electric Wine Cooler – HI-8C
Freestanding or Built-In Wine Coolers
When you say freestanding it means that this type of wine refrigerator is meant to be placed anywhere you wish except in an enclosed space such as a cabinet. These are not under counter wine coolers as freestanding refrigerators usually vent heat from the back and placing them in a tight enclosed space is a good way to cause them to overheat. Freestanding are also fully designed in every angle, this is to ensure that they will look stylish and good even if they are in full view. If you must place them in an enclosed space, the best you can do to prevent overheating is to have 4 inches of open space behind and on both sides to give adequate breathing room for the heat to properly dissipate.
These are developed specifically to be installed as under counter wine coolers. It achieves this by having a slight variation when it comes to its heat ventilation. Instead of placing the vent in the back as is standard, a built-in cooler has it in the front. This allows for built-in refrigerators to be placed in tight enclosed places. As long as the front vent has no obstructions it will be able to dissipate heat cleanly.
The Difference between Single and Dual Zone Wine Coolers
This tow is pretty easy to differentiate from one another.
Basically, a single zone wine cooler only features one temperature zone that can be controlled by a single adjustable thermostat. Single zone wine coolers are basically miniature standard refrigerators.
The dual zone wine refrigerators on the other hand have two separate temperature zones. Each of these zones has their own independent thermostat. A dual zone wine cooler is ideal for those who have a variety of wines in their collection that requires different ideal temperatures when storing.
If you only have one type of wine then a single zone wine cooler is enough.
Choosing between Thermoelectric and Compressor-Based Cooling System
Choosing between the two types of cooling system will fall on the environment you will place them in.
A thermoelectric cooling unit is more compact than the bulkier compressor wine coolers. They are also quieter, offers less vibrations and are more energy efficient. However, they do fall short when it comes to cooling capacity. When it comes to cooling, they will have a more difficult time if they are installed in a large storage compartment. Essentially, they do not have the muscle that the compressor cooling system has. This is the reason why smaller and more compact coolers opt to use this system as it will be able to perform better in a smaller scale.
The compressor wine coolers on the other hand are built for durability and power. They are able to withstand higher ambient temperatures without overheating and will have a larger storage capacity as well. It will mostly have no problem maintaining storage temperature whatever the ambient temperature maybe.
Now that you have armed yourself with knowledge concerning the various types of wine coolers you are now almost ready to choose which wine cooler to choose, whether it be a freestanding or under counter wine cooler. Of course, we are here to further give you more detail about the products in order for you to make a complete decision. Check our list of wine coolers from popular brands and find out which is best suited for your room and wine collection.
What is the best Wine Cooler on the market today? There are tons of Wine Coolers out there, we did a lot of research on Wine Coolers to save your precious time and money. Here are our best Wine Coolers 2017:
#1. 36-Bottle EdgeStar Built-In Dual-Zone French-Door Wine Refrigerator
- Edgestar built-in wine coolers are inspired by you to fit seamlessly into your lifestyle and suit your specific wine storage needs
- This 24” design fits perfectly in standard undercounter areas and allows you to store and display up to 36 bottles of your favorite wine
- Loaded with features and an elegant french door design this wine refrigerator is a popular choice that will perfectly blend into any home décor
- 10 full depth, slide-out stainless steel-trimmed wood shelves
- Two partial depth slide-out stainless steel-trimmed wood shelves
- Auto defrost
- Security lock on each door
- Temperature Range: 40-65º F for both zones
- LED displays show current temperature
- Rubber bushing absorbs vibration and noise from compressor
- Input voltage: 115 V/60 Hz
- Power: 120 W/1.2 A
- Weight: 100 lbs
- Dimensions: 34 1/8″ H x 23 1/2″ W x 24 3/8″ D
- Dimensions (Without Handle): 34 1/8″ H x 23 1/2″ W x 22 5/8″ D
Pros: packaged very well, no delivery issues or damage, the installation was easy, perfect wine fridge, it’s looks beautiful, dual zone temperature control with LED panel, well made, extremely quiet, dual zone is working wonderfully, keeps wines at perfect temperature, better than what someone expected for the price …
Cons: no complaints …
#2. 32 Bottle Dual Zone Quiet NewAir AW-321ED Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- Get compact, flexible storage for your wine collection with the NewAir AW-321ED dual zone wine cooler
- This attractive unit stores up to 32 bottles of wine and features side-by-side compartments with dual zone controls so you can keep both white and red wines at their ideal temperatures
- Enjoy the convenience of the external controls and thermostat displays that let you easily monitor and adjust interior temperatures
- The classic black and stainless steel design is enhanced with real wood shelves that not only look great, but slide out to give you complete access to your collection
- Featuring a thermoelectric cooling system that runs quietly, this is the perfect unit to protect and preserve your wine at optimum flavor
Pros: great customer service, reasonably priced compared to others in this size range, perfect size for your home, perfect for the modest wine enthusiast, it chills quickly, super quiet, nice finish and design, dual zone capability is great, keeping both your whites and reds at the perfect temperature, separate sections for whites and reds is a great feature …
Cons: fits standard sized wine bottle, big bottles maybe fit well on bottom …
#3. Whynter BWR-33SD 33 Bottle Built-In Wine Refrigerator
- The Whynter Built-in undercounter wine refrigerator offers premium quality and innovative design ideal for your wine collecting needs
- Whether for the enthusiast or the connoisseur, the Whynter built-in undercounter wine refrigerator provides affordable yet advanced wine storage functionality
- This Whynter single zone wine storage system (BWR-33SD) can hold up to 33 standard 750ml wine bottles
- The powerful compressor cooling system offers optimum temperature (high 30ºF to mid 60ºF) for red, white, and sparkling wines
- The front ventilation design of this unit allows for flush with cabinet undercounter installation or simply freestanding usage
- The premium appeal of the BWR-33SD features an exclusive stainless steel trimmed door and a heavy stainless steel L-bar handle
- The seven removable scalloped chrome racks in the unit allow for maximum storage capacity
Pros: great built in for the affordable price, good design, love the handle bar, shelves are removable, perfect fit for 15″ under the counter space, operates very silently except with the occasional bubbling sounds, cools very effectively, doesn’t reset the temperature when you get a power hit …
Cons: the distance in between the shelves is rather tight, seems difficult to get 33 bottles in to it …
#4. 32 BTL Electric Wine Cooler Cellar Chiller Single Zone Blk AZ-ea45ec-75
- In order to fully enjoy a bottle of wine’s true aroma, it’s important to keep it at the proper temperature, as serving it too cold will cause it to lose its flavor notes while excessively warm temperatures will speed up the aging process
- However, whether you’re a budding wine connoisseur or a true oenophile, you don’t have to spend thousands of dollars building a home with wine cellar
- Instead, a thermoelectric wine cooler such as the AKDY AZ-EA45EC-75 is a great, affordable way to keep your wine properly chilled
- Double Transparent Glass Windows, 16.2″W X 21″D X 31.7″H
- Electronic touchpad control provides precise temperature adjustments, shelves are removeable!!!
- LED Lighting Inside that Attractively Illuminates and Displays Your Wine Collection
- Thermoelectric fan cooling system with unnoticeable noise and vibration level
- Environmental Friendly with Low Energy Consumption and Efficient Heat Dissipation
Pros: great little wine cooler, beautiful with the lights on, compact design, holds a lot without taking up a lot of space, can fit in the smallest of nooks, works great, very quiet, you can set the temperature that you like, it keeps wine very well at the requisite temperature, fits a lot of different size bottles …
Cons: it does not have dual cooling zones …
#5. Danby 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler
- If you’ve been known to throw a bottle of wine in the fridge after your guests arrive, the Danby DWC93BLSDB 36 Bottle Wine Cooler may be just the thing for you
- With a temperature range of 43 – 57 degrees F, this wine cooler will keep your wine perfectly chilled and at the ready for any occasion
- This beauteous, free-standing wine cooler holds up to 36 bottles of your favorite varietals, which should make for a decent variety to please your guests … and yourself!
- A clear view of your selection allows you to pick the perfect bottle for your party – or any other event – and the interior blue LED lighting provides you with just that
- Easy access to your wine makes for happy guests, and the reversible door swing on this wine cooler has left- and right-hand opening
- The recessed pocket-style handle further assists with the ease, and the tempered glass door front makes for a lovely display while helping protect your wine from UV rays
- The classic black and stainless steel exterior will add a little sophistication to any space, and the black wire shelving assures that this wine cooler is indeed cool outside and in
- Measures 17.5W x 20D x 32.6875H inches
Pros: best cooler in the price range, keeps your wine at the absolute accurate temperature, it has performed flawlessly, have a digital thermometer in it to verify temp, love the blue lighting, runs fairly quietly, great value for a decent wine cooler, it fits perfectly in a small space, great piece for a start-up wine collection and for smaller kitchens …
Cons: it runs a bit too cold even at lowest ‘barely on’ setting, the racks have trouble fitting those odd sized bottles …
#6. NewAir AW-281E 28 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- Large capacity cooler easily holds up to 28 bottles of your favorite flavors
- Contemporary styling complements decor and looks great in any setting
- Interior LED light illuminates your collection and allows for optimal viewing
- Compact and freestanding design is ideal for most any environment and requires only 4 inch of clearance on all sides!
- Thermoelectric cooling technology operates quietly and is vibration free to maintain ultimate flavor and aroma
- Great customer reviews for versatile storage and effective chilling
- Includes sliding shelves that makes your collection accessible and removable shelves for personalized storage
- Easy push button controls and digital thermostat maximizes temperature accuracy
- Heavy duty glass door is insulated to help maintain superior interior temperature!
Pros: outstanding customer service, great selection at the best price, functional design, it has adjustable shelves, the racks slide out nice, great lighting, less noise and vibration than a cooler using a compressor, energy efficient, temperature regulation is pretty decent for it’s price, someone can open a bottle and still lay the bottle down inside …
Cons: the interior light is not functional to view the labels on the wine …
#7. Wine Enthusiast 18-Bottle Touchscreen Wine Refrigerator
- Store & serve from 2 separate zones!
- This thermoelectric, energy-efficient, CFC-free wine cooler. . .
- Protects the taste of reds & whites w/ updated, virtually silent cooling technologyin 2 zones
- Increases the convenience of temperature control w/ an exterior digital touchscreen
- ETL approved. Reflective Thermopane smoked-glass door w/ recessed handle
- 4 pull-out chrome shelves. Interior LED lighting
- Size: 25-1/2inH x 14inW x 19-3/4inD
Pros: delivered fast, quality wine refrigerator is best in class, the eighteen bottles is just enough for family usage, it is perfect for small houses, it looks very nice and militaristic, fits perfectly into tight spaces, you’ll love this dual control wine chiller, holds the desired temp extremely well, whisper quiet, keeps your wine nice and cool, hold larger bottles well too …
Cons: none …
#8. Haier 18-Bottle Dual Zone Curved Door with Smoked Glass Wine Cellar
- Complete your evening soiree in style with the Haier HVTEC18DABS Thermo Electric Wine Cooler 18 Bottle
- Sturdily constructed in sleek black with a double-pane glass insulated door, this 18-bottle cooler features five full-width chrome storage racks and dual-zone temperature controls
- Complete with a cool blue interior light and a digital temperature display, this freestanding appliance keeps each bottle perfectly chilled with a thermoelectric cooling system and vibration-free storage
- 18-bottle capacity. Double-pane glass door is insulated and eco-friendly
- Dual-zone temperature control. Reliable thermoelectric cooling technology
- 5 full-width chrome storage racks. 9.9W x 20.3D x 37.2H inches
Pros: great little wine cellar for the price, arrived on time, the packaging was very well done, looks sleek and classy, incredibly small footprint, dual zone is nice, absolutely silent during operation, the temperature seems pretty consistent, keeps wine nicely chilled, LED light inside is a nice touch to see what wine you have …
Cons: a little pricey for the size …
#9. NewAir AW-181E Space Saver 18 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- Digital thermostat provides accurate temperature control
- Heavy duty glass door provides the UV protection you need!
- Push button controls are user-friendly and interior LED light allows for optimal viewing
- Freestanding and compact design requires only 4″ clearance on all sides for easy and convenient placement
- Thermoelectric design is vibration free to reduce the development of sediment
- Excellent customer reviews and a #1 seller on Amazon.com
- Equipped with sliding and removable shelves for custom storage
- Easily stores up to 18 bottles of your favorite wine
- Made from top-quality materials and designed to flatter decor
Pros: arrived early, easy to install, very stylish, door construction is really quite solid, size is perfect for small spaces, nice simple wine cooler, perfect starter wine fridge, it keeps the wine at a constant temperature and is very quite, nice amount of depth, provides great accessibility to the wine bottles …
Cons: the shelves don’t glide easily, it doesn’t get colder than 54 degrees …
#10. Wine Enthusiast Silent 12 Bottle Wine Refrigerator
- Wine protection meets countertop convenience
- Enhances counter areas with designer styling including a reflective smoked-glass door
- Increases the convenience of temperature control with an exterior digital touchscreen
- Protects the taste of reds and whites with updated virtually silent cooling technology
- All for a price that makes enjoying wine affordable!
- A thermoelectric energy-efficient CFC-free wine cooler
- ETL approved. 12-bottle capacity
- Adjustable temperature range: 50-66°F
- Exterior digital touchscreen with temperature display
- Reflective smoked-glass
- Thermopane door with recessed handle 3 pull-out chrome shelves
- Interior LED lighting Freestanding only
Pros: low price, quiet efficient wine cooler, fits well on a counter top, 12 standard size and shape wine bottles fit perfectly, keeps the wine at the correct temperature, larger bottles can also be accommodated by removing one shelf, it does produce a noticeable noise when running, chills quickly, works well as an alternative to a built-in unit …
Cons: some tight if you fill it up …
#11. HOMEIMAGE 8 Bottle Thermal Electric Wine Cooler – HI-8C
- Store up to 8 bottles or Red/White Wine
- Easy Soft touch sensor temperature control with Red LED display from 11 to 18 degree Celcius (52-64F)
- Dual pane glass door with recessed handle
- Portable and light weight in Midnight black housing housing
- Adjustable level footing, can be placed on the floor or any counter top
- Non Vibration and quiet operations
Pros: great little cooler for casual wine drinkers, the price was right, fits the bill perfectly, very nice and compact, perfect size, functions properly, very quiet fan, chills the bottles very quickly …
Cons: sparkling wine bottles do not fit …